1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Making my Prius THROB!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mystery Squid, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Ok, so I want to transfer my 750 watt amp and 900 watt subwoofer from my summer car into the Prius.

I did some searching, and someone mentioned something about a DC to DC converter. It wasn't clear to me whether that is where the power leads from the AMP would go to. Is that the case? It will be a real simple set up, the amp is only going to power the singe 12" subwoofer, what I don't want, is to have to turn it down because there might be too much of a "draw"?

Any help, thoughts, comments, will be appreciated! :)

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I put my amps into the storage bin above the spare tire, and ran the power wire right to the 12V battery. I have the subwoofer sitting right against the back seats facing towards the trunk. It's a 10" sub, but i think you can probably fit a 12" there as well. The bar of the trunk cover is used to hold the box in place so it doesn't slide around.

I'm probably running around 380 watts RMS right now. You didn't mention what kinda amp you got, but if your amp is 900 watts PEAK then it shouldn't have any problems with the small 12 volt aux battery.

[Broken External Image]:http://presto.homeftp.net:8080/presto/prius/CRW_3336_RJ.sized.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://presto.homeftp.net:8080/presto/prius/IMG_3326.sized.jpg

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And who doesn't like a throbbing Prius... :rolleyes:

4. Mystery Squid

This guy -------> :eek:

:ph34r:

5. Mystery Squid

Thanks for the info. Presto! As it turns out, it's not my amp that's 900W, it's my sub speaker... My amp is actually, as you had suspected, is 720w total... One question though, how did you get the speakers from the rear doors into the rear compartment? I'm going to dick around with that right now actually...

Nice set up though! :)

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

:lol:

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The part about the DC/DC converter was dealing with the recharge current in the car. Other cars have an alternator, the Prius instead has a DC/DC converter to convert 206V down to 12V. It probably puts out 80A nominal, but you have to consider the load from the rest of the car. Momentary loads such as the windows or brake pump shouldn't be an issue, the battery can take care of the extra current.
    Also consider that the battery is small, about 36AH, or about 430WH @ 12V.

8. Mystery Squid

Thanks, now I get it! :)

I started tinkering over the weekend, and, honestly, am just too lazy to remove 1,000 body panels to get the wiring nice. So, currently, I'm thinking of just upgrading the speakers...

I must be getting old, I seemed to have lost my urge to tinker with vehicles! :lol: