1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Making sound every fifteen seconds, even after powering off (225K miles)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vaipan, Feb 22, 2023.

1. vaipan

vaipan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a sample of the noise:

This noise has been going on for a long while, but the car seems to drive fine. All of my dash warning lights came on a few weeks ago. I drove to a Jiffy Lube and they said it's not returning any codes. But the car wouldn't go into drive. So I disconnected the rear battery to reset the codes. It still seems to drive fine. No codes since.

I bought an OBD reader and used the Dr. Prius app today. No codes. I tested the battery and it says 45.5% capacity left.

I've been the sole driver of this car since 2006. I've felt it struggling recently, so no long trips anymore. I've really only ever done oil changes for maintenance. I did some recommended maintenance stuff around 125K miles. Recently, the AC stopped blowing cold air, but it's winter so I've been putting off getting it fixed.

I don't know if I should begin going through the steps of maintenance and repair or if it'd be better to put that money toward a new car. I'd hate to say goodbye to Ole Reliable "Suzanna," but I also dig the new model.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The sound is coming from the brake actuator. Sounds like your car has a lot of deferred maintenance. You probably will be saying goodbye to this car as it’ll need a new brake actuator, HV battery and AC repairs. Just these 3 will run into the thousands, more than the car is worth

vaipan likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dang JC, you are a well of positivity! (a lot of truth in the post, though)
    I noticed there was no mention in the OP as to DIY ability. That will have a significant impact on the level of expense.

That car, parked in my driveway would be a weekend and maybe $2-500 total investment to repair. Non DIYer......like you say, mid 4 digits

vaipan likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    How old is the 12v battery, or what is the measured voltage at the jump points under the hood?
    Not all OBD2 code readers are hybrid compatible. After resetting the codes, you must wait for the codes to return before scanning again.
    Another example of a limited OBD2 scanner, it is mostly for HV battery related codes. Or since you reset, no codes have set again.
    If interested in maintenance, start by changing the transmission fluid, and cleaning the HV battery fan and related white connector. If you have more time, then reconditioning the HV battery by cycling it with a grid charger/discharger would be a great idea at 225k miles.

Which part of the state are you nearest (your profile only says California), as another member might be able to assist/scan the vehicle.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

5. vaipan

vaipan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you all for replying and helping!

I'm in Central California. I didn't expect it, but if anyone can help or knows of any good mechanics, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm up to drive anywhere in the state and would pay whatever it costs.

I haven't needed to do any DIY repairs outside of changing headlights or small things and this is the only car I've ever driven, so I don't have any real DIY knowledge for cars. I've looked into other posts here detailing setting up the Techstream and replacing the brake actuator. A repair that large is absolutely beyond me. But I can definitely at least clean that HV battery fan and white connector. I'll do it this weekend!

I don't have a multimeter, but I can go to a mechanic to have it checked. The 12V is about 3-4 years old. I'm checking out videos on changing transmission fluid now.

There's such a wealth of information on this forum! I've already looked through more than a dozen posts about maintenance, replacing the brake actuator, and more. I'll continue reading.

My brakes seem to work fine. I've had to make sudden stops even recently and there weren't any issues. I had some brake work done on them at around 150K miles I think. I can't remember specifically what it was. I think it was the brake pads?

I've made several long trips within the last couple years and haven't had any issues with the car. I drove up to Sonoma (~400 mile round trips) a few months ago and it drove perfectly except that's when the AC went out on me.

The AC just isn't blowing cold air, so I'm hoping it's as simple as just refreshing it. The summers here are brutal, so I wouldn't be able to live without it.

Do you think I should begin calling local mechanics to see who may be able to fix the brake actuator, or is it something that's just repaired by dealerships?

Thanks again for all of your help! I was really hoping to get to 300K. I love this car. I've driven cross country a couple times, throughout Canada, long trips all over, I even toured with my old band in this car. Lots of good memories.