1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Malfunctioning ECU

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tracy2, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Tracy2

Tracy2 New Member

I posted a topic concerning brake replacement on 3/27. I mistakenly thought that because the 'brake light' ,the red light that is on when the emergency brake is engaged, was on meant that my brakes probably needed to be replaced. Well, I after reading the posts left by many members- and refering to my owners manual- I realised that this problem needed professional attention. As it turns out the ECU has malfunctioned- it's was explained to me by the technician as 'the computer'. That was definately a relief because it is still under warranty. The issue that I have is that the part will take ten days to arrive. The dealership told me that it is ok to drive the car with this malfunctioning part. Has anyone experienced a malfunctioning 'ECU'? And, if so were they instructed that driving is ok? Thanks, Tracy2

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tracy2 @ Apr 6 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]235786[/snapback]</div>
    It really depends on a lot of things. Some ECU malfunctions will render the car useless, others are minor issues. If the dealer felt it was safe to drive and performance seems OK I think I'd trust them that it's OK to do so. Realize that there are over a dozen ECUs/computers in the Prius.

Did the dealer give you any DTC codes that came up? If so tell us what they are and we can give you much more detailed information about what ECU is causing the problem and probably exactly what the problem is. You can probably call the service manager and ask them to look up the DTC codes on your work order to get them.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    which ECU?

if they say it's alright then i wouldn't worry about driving it. they don't want that kind of liability on their shoulders and wouldn't have you drive it if it weren't safe.