1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Malibu gets 38 mpg?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by JackDodge, Jul 3, 2008.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Some guy at the barbershop was saying that he gets 38 mpg out of his 4-cylinder Malibu. He didn't say how old it was. He did not mention that it was a hybrid so I'm guessing that it isn't. Is it possible for someone to get that kind of mileage from a Malibu? 38 sounded like exaggeration so I didn't even bother to question his claim but if it's possible then, wow, I'm impressed. That's the new thing to lie about, though, what kind of mileage one gets. I'm starting to hear people talk about it a lot more now. Even a few months ago, most people would shrug and say "I don't know" when I asked them what mpg they got from their cars.

2. realale

realale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Misread your post. Edited to remove my own idiocy.

3. Tammy7287

Tammy7287 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a 2001 Malibu and the best I got was 28mpg or so. Haven't seen any Malibu Hybrids in my area yet.

4. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Three years ago I was in a miles per gallon test with a State of maine owned Malibu. It was a brand new car at the time. The worst mileage we gould get out of it was 18 miles per gallon on a 50 mile loop of combined city and highway driving, and that was with spinning tires, late braking, and riding the brakes.

The best we got was 36 miles per gallon on the same loop, the same day, with the same newspaper reporter documenting the information. I have no doubt a properly driven malibu could get 38 and maybe even 40 miles per gallon with an aftermarket air filter and a good driver.

We did not use any special driving techniques in our test in regards to coasting or driving slowly. The difference in total time for the loop was only a couple of minutes.

I know the Maibu we drove was a traditional gasoline powered car.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The use of the word "gets" is always suspect. Odds are, it was just a limited time measure under optimal conditions.

Ask for an annual average. Odds are, you'll get a very different MPG value... one much lower.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think a lot of it is denial and wishfull thinking on the part of owners.

I asked my parents what their Caddy gets. My Dad says 25 mpg. I say.....maybe straight highway but what about around town. Still don't know exactly but I'll bet lower than 25 mpg. My old Saturn SC2 coupe got 25 mixed driving.

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :)my Saturn SC2 (2000, third door) got 32 if I drove it down to empty in the summer. That was the trick with a Saturn SL1, SL2 or SC2, drive the sucker down to empty and the mileage was higher than if I filled it up at a quarter tank. With a Toyota hybrid, it makes no difference if it's half full or a quarter full which is just so cool.

8. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    just for everyones information, i wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

i have two corvettes and they get 30-31 mpg on the freeway when i was very careful. not bad for two bad-a$$ machines with hundreds of horses on standby.

no hybrid too! that's why they're just once in a blue moon cars now.

have a good 4th, be safe people!

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It was reported by CNN that Wayne G. can get 50mpg out of a 25mpg car. Driven "right" maybe the Malibu can. I'll believe it if the driver keeps a log, otherwise just barbershop banter.

10. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI: My "experiment" was in May of 2005 and a senior reporter from the Portland Press Herald rode shotgun with myself and Maine's former Energy Director. It was published as a front page article in our Sunday paper...

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Was that somebody from Canada, reporting the fuel economy in miles per Imperial gallon?

A co-worker had a 2006 Malibu, claimed around mid 30's on the highway

Apparently the "new" Malibu with the 3.6 V6 does quite well. Consumer Reports got 13 city, 30 highway, out of their test Malibu

12. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i had a 2001 V6 Chevy Malibu and I averaged 32 mpg... i think 38 would be possible with just a little work. however, when my wife took over the reigns (when I got Pablo) her short commutes cut the mileage down to 20... :(

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No, just an American car company sixty-something type, who lives in the past, doing some exaggerating. He also mentioned, as he lamented how so many people were buying foreign cars, that he didn't understand it since he was speeding through the mountains and getting 38 mpg. I'm sure that he perhaps achieved 38 at one point for one tankful somehow under unusual circumstances, but speeding through the mountains and getting 38 mpg all the time? Nope. I didn't know which mountains he was referring to but they aren't in Michigan <S>

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Two words:

Bull

and

S***

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    38mpg? Maybe with lots of down hill driving. That's like me saying I can get 71mpg / 700 miles per tank in the Prius ... but not mentioning that I have to work at it.

The OLD epa wasn't even that high for the Malibu, not even for the hybrid. Here's the estimates for the hybrid Malibu, figured using the OLD epa formula:

Chevy Malibu Hybrid

Of course, ALL cars do worse under the new EPA calc's. and why did they change the formulas? Because the guzzler's fuel economy looked so bad, when the Prius got a 60mpg rating. So they changed the formula, even though the guzzler's mpg ratings would go down. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

16. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is possible when a person keeps up on the maintenence like air filters and fluid changes in intervals.

I have a 99 S-10 4x4 that has a rating of 15 City and 17 Highway. Combined city and Highway driving I'm pushing 20-21 MPG. It's got the manual transmission in it so that a plus and on top of that I don't hammer on the pedal.