1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Man arrested for using free Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by larkinmj, May 23, 2007.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

A man in Michigan was regularly sitting in his car outside a coffee shop that has free Wi-Fi. If he had been sitting inside the coffee shop, there would have been no problem. But a police officer, suspicious of the guy sitting in his car with a laptop, asked him what he was doing. The guy was unaware that he was breaking the law so he told the truth and was arrested. He could have been given a 5-year prison sentence (just what we need- fill our already overflowing prisons with wardrivers), but he got off with a $400 fine and community service.
    I think this case sets a dangerous precedent. I, for instance, have been in a coffee shop, attempting to connect to their Wi-Fi only to inadvertently connect to someone else's network that happened to have a stronger signal. Could I be sent to prison for that? I hope the prison has Wi-Fi!

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9722006-7.html

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like this should have been let off w/ just a warning. Also, it seems like something he could have fought in court had he chosen to do so. Is it piggybacking to use a free wi-fi service provided to the public? Is it clearly indicated that to use it one must be inside the cafe'? Did the cafe' not employ some means of notifying users that it was not legal to use the wi-fi service unless they were a customer? Did they use any sort of password protection to ensure only customers in the store could log onto the service?

40 hrs of comm. service and $400 seems pretty steep for a victimless crime that even the officer didn't know was a crime...how was the civilian supposed to know?

3. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    WHAT?? This is totally BS. Free Wifi is implemented in a lot of cities. So everyone that hop into the Free wifi is a criminal now? :angry: :angry: :angry:

4. priussoris

priussoris New Member

What a crock that is..
    You would think it would be up to the coffe shop to press charges or not They are the ones paying the bill.

Good ole Michigan law lol

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 23 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]448292[/snapback]</div>
    HolyKow! I can't believe this! First the cop is a retard, nothing personal cops. <_< Second, whats next arresting people outside a concert because they can hear the music without paying for it? Oh well guess I better get my own ISP again, sigh. :lol:

Wildkow

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Also, any Wi-Fi network can be password encrypted to control access. Many people purposely leave their networks open for "piggybackers", and it is perfectly reasonable to assume that if you can get onto a network, you have permission.

7. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Hopefully the coffee shop will become known for this and business will suffer.

If I were the owner of that coffee shop, I might have called the cops just to make sure this guy outside the shop is not dangerous or up to anything illegal. Once he's determined to be harmlessly using the wifi, run out there with a free cup of coffee and a donut for the guy. Ask him to come on in... win him as a customer and get the reputation in the community for having done so.

It's not like their pipeline was full and he was causing bandwidth problems for the other 0 customers who were tied on to their open signal.

I have assumed for a long time now, that if my wifi signal is not secured, someone may be outside my house picking it up and using it. That's why I secure it.

Next thing I know, I'll be arrested for listening to the XM radio blasting out of the pimp mobile next to me at the stoplight. I didn't pay for a subscription.

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 23 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]448332[/snapback]</div>
    From the story, it sounds like the coffee shop didn't know the guy was using their Wi-Fi and they had no problem with it. The cop just saw him outside and arrested him.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 23 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]448332[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely Daron...I agree with this idea 100%. This could have easily been turned into a positive situation with such an approach. Instead this guy's labeled as a criminal with an arrest record.... Probably the liberals' fault ;)

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    how ridiculous is that...

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's an intent crime. No intend on part of defendant. Case closed. If you don't fight, you loose by default. Meanwhile, as Mr. Flatfoot crimebuster is out busy getting a warrant sworn out, your unimportant burglaries, arsons, robberies, rapes, kidnappings are happening around the corner. Irony?

12. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 23 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]448322[/snapback]</div>
    Who says laws have to follow reason? ;-)

Here in FL it IS illegal to use someone else's WIFI without their permission. I too think our law is wrong.

Why not make it illegal to listen to two people talking, for example, at a bus stop? If you don't want to be heard then whisper. Same with WIFI. Turn on the encryption. Now, if you intentionally hack the encryption, then I would think that's a different story.

This is going to become interesting with the soon to be introduction/widespread use of WIFI phones.

Rick
    #4 2006

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 23 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]448322[/snapback]</div>
    Who says laws have to follow reason? ;-)

Here in FL it IS illegal to use someone else's WIFI without their permission. I too think our law is wrong.

Why not make it illegal to listen to two people talking, for example, at a bus stop? If you don't want to be heard then whisper. Same with WIFI. Turn on the encryption. Now, if you intentionally hack the encryption, then I would think that's a different story.

This is going to become interesting with the soon to be introduction/widespread use of WIFI phones.

Rick
    #4 2006

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    While i definitely agree with the general sentiment here (that the guy shouldn't even have been bothered), this is a bigger problem than this single solitary case would indicate.

People drive around neighborhoods looking for unprotected wifi. Sometimes they use it simply to browse the web. Other times, they use it for more malicious reasons - they either take over the persons computer(s), setting up a bot network, or they launch criminal acts from those unprotected networks. not everyone knows enough about computers to know that they need to, or even be able to, protect their wifi network.

Such acts in a residential environment are definitely illegal, and IMO should be pursued by the cops regardless of the owner of the network (if they can even be determined).

There are two other types of wifi networks that need to be treated differently, IMO. Some coffee shops and the like will run for their customers. Generally they do have signs somewhere on the premises that state the wifi is for paying customers only. In these cases where the network can be identified as belonging to a business, set up for the benefit of customers, it should be up to that business to press charges.

The other type is the completely free wifi network. There are a few of these scattered around the globe, mostly centered around big universities and the like. For these types, the only charges that should e pressed is if it can be shown that the individual was performing other illegal acts.

So i agree, in this situation that what occurred was a bit out there... but unfortunately this is an area of criminal activity that a majority of the public isn't even aware of, and is very dangerous to everyone. How many people use online banking? or store important personal information on their computers? It's much easier to get this information from inside the network, than it is from a remote location.

14. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    sorry, duplicate post... whats up with the website right now?

15. Army5339

Army5339 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The law is the law. He was breaking the law. Non-violent crimes can and do get prosecuted. The coffee shop had a sign saying that the internet service that they provide for customers is...for customers. Many places have rules that the restrooms are for paying customers only.

This guy knew he was stealing intenet service, without paying for it or compensating the owners. Same reason I don't feel bad for people caught stealing music online.

Stealing is wrong. Expecting free stuff that you don't pay for, or have permission to use, is a mental disorder.

16. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry for the dupe. The server indicated it was busy...

Rick
    #4 2006

17. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 23 2007, 11:01 AM) [snapback]448321[/snapback]</div>
    Note that the article says it's a Michigan law. Here in CA it may or may not be the same.

18. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always thought that the airwaves were free. If you want to control it, use a security lock. What if he was in a building next door, same problem I guess.

Was this guy maybe parked in front of a fire hydrant or parked illegally? I think this cop was way out of line and who ever the court was.

efusco said he could fight it in court. Even if he won a lawyer would have cost more. I doubt very much that he got a criminal record, this must be a misdemeanor at most, and I don't agree with that.

Be careful in Michigan or just avoid it altogether.

19. Army5339

Army5339 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ May 23 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]448362[/snapback]</div>

Should it be legal for your neighbors to use your water hose connection without your permission or without paying for the water? What about your cable tv? Phone line?

Just because I don't lock the door to my house doesn't mean you are allowed to take or use my stuff. It just means I didn't lock my house.

20. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Army5339 @ May 23 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]448366[/snapback]</div>
    Have you read some article on this other than what is cited here? I don't see anything about the coffee shop having a sign and, moreover, the linked article makes it sound like the coffee shop had nothing to do with the prosecution.