1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Man converts his car to run on free used vegetable oil

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Someone was talking about this in another thread, but I figured this little news story deserved it's own thread.

Susan's Fish and Chips serves up fuel alternative
    By Craig Giammona

Link from TheForeCaster.net

The owner of Susan's Fish and Chips, Susan Eklund, carries out a batch of oil for Kris Eckhardt on Sunday morning.

Ruth Ann Redman photo
    PORTLAND - When Kris Eckhardt visits Susan's Fish and Chips on Forest Avenue, he leaves with more than delicious fried fish and french fries. Eckhardt, a regular customer at Susan's for years, runs his car on Susan's used vegetable oil.

"He asked me what I do with my used oil," said Susan Eklund, who has owned and operated Susan's for 15 years, "initially he offered to pay for it." Eklund refused the offer. It was costing her about $150 every time she had to have the used oil picked up, so she was delighted to have Eckhardt take the oil off her hands. A marriage of convenience was born and Eckhardt has been fueling up at Susan's ever since.

According to Eckhardt, it is possible to run a diesel engine off vegetable oil as long as the oil is thin enough. "You just have to heat the oil to at least 130 degrees," Eckhardt said, "I heard about a guy in South Portland who had converted his car with a kit he bought off the Internet. I took a look at the kit, recognized the parts and realized I could do it."

Eckhardt recognized the parts from his experience building engines and working at Napa Auto Parts. About a year ago, he set to work converting his 1985 Volkswagen Cabriolet to run on vegetable oil. "It took about a week to do the first car," said Eckhardt, "I had to fabricate the parts and figure out how to heat the oil." To heat the oil, Eckhardt routed heated water from his car's heating system to a tank he fabricated to hold the vegetable oil. When he was done he could drive his car 50 miles on three gallons of vegetable oil. It cost Eckhardt about $200 to complete the conversion. "The car smells like a cook-out," said Eckhardt, who noted that his kids call his car, "the french fry car."

Since converting his car, Eckhardt has streamlined his technique, and converted two other cars. One was for his girlfriend, the other for his friend Michael Hiltz. Hiltz, who recently graduated from nursing school, likes the fact that he is no longer supporting big energy companies when he drives.

"I smell the difference," Hiltz said. "I don't smell pollution and I don't smell trade deficit."

Hiltz, who drives an 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit, said that running cars on vegetable oil was always the intention of diesel engine inventor Rudolph Diesel. "He originally wanted cars to run on peanut oil. The petroleum companies just took his name."

Hiltz has clear political motivations for running his car on vegetable oil. He dumped his gas car when the war in Iraq broke out last March and started looking for a diesel car he could run on bio-diesel. Then he met Kris Eckhardt at the Stevens Avenue coffee shop they both patronize daily. They got to talking and soon Eckhardt was converting his car to be run on vegetable oil.

At Susan's Fish and Chips, the pair found an available and cost-free source of fuel. Susan says she goes through about 800 cases of oil a year, at 35 pounds a case. That's a lot of frying, and for anyone with a diesel engine it can be a lot of driving. "Now, it only takes about a weekend to do a conversion," said Eckhardt, who noted that for him the car conversions were more about mechanical curiosity than environmental or political conscience. Eckhardt noted, though, that Hiltz has got him thinking more and more about the benefits of not supporting oil and gas companies. "I'm not an activist," said Eckhardt, "but I do what I can."

Eckhardt is currently considering having the fuel boxes he fabricates to hold the vegetable oil made professionally so he can convert cars for anyone who is interested. The former guitar player and front-man for local rock-a-billy band "King Memphis," Eckhardt said converted cars have no problem passing inspection. Converted cars do, though, still need to be started with regular diesel fuel. Eckhardt starts his car the way anyone else would then drives for about the five minutes it takes to bring the oil to 130 degrees. After that he just flips a switch on his dashboard and the cook-out begins. The amount of diesel needed for the process is minimal. According to Eckhardt, he can drive 2,000 or 3,000 miles on a single tank.

The Internet kits that provided Eckhardt with his inspiration can cost anywhere from $600 to $1,000 and convert cars to be run on bio-diesel, which can also be expensive. Eckhardt's conversion sets up cars so they can be fueled anywhere a fryolator is frying, and for a fraction of the cost.

Anyone interested in contacting Eckhardt or Hiltz about converting their diesel car should e-mail [email protected]

2. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great article Danny. I wonder if the French Fry car would meet Calif. standards.

Jeff

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My favorite quote from it. I would think that the smell of a french fry car would be just as bad as some pollution - for those of us who have spent time in front of a fry vat at some point know what I'm talking about.

4. cybele

cybele New Member

As far as I know, it does.

According to what I've read, biodiesel is actually a great idea for SoCal. Places with actual winter have trouble with biofuels because they tend to get gummy at lower temperatures and extra heaters need to be added or the drivers need to switch to blends or back to straight diesel. But there may have been some newer advances in that since I last read up on it.

You can buy biodiesel here in California at a few pumps. Check out http://www.biodiesel.org (their annual conference is coming up!) - there's a link to a map that'll show you where you can buy it.

Curiously enough, the smell the car emits depends on what the oil was used for - some smell like french fries, pop corn (from corn dogs) or fish sticks and if you're lucky enough to get tempura oil, it smells like nothing at all.

The sad part is that biodiesel will never be the answer to all of our energy problems. It would be great for taking care of waste oils from the food service industry, but at this time there is not enough waste food oil to support converting all diesel autos at this time.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I make biodiesel myself for my truck when I have the time to mess with it. I can tell you from experience that it works great!

6. twindad

twindad New Member

Check out this company:
    http://www.changingworldtech.com
    Basically, it's garbage in, oil out. If it's as efficient as it claims to be, this could be a major step towards reducing dependency on foreign oil, especially if it can be burned in diesel engines without too much additional processing. Interesting thought: Let's suppose the world's oil supplies dry up and we have to use this process to create our petroleum based energy. Does the earth create enough biomass in a day to self sustain the process?

7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My partner, Lyle, is making his own bio-diesel. He's had some ups and downs and some trips that were, shall we say, "shorter than expected", but he is getting a system down and the formulae correct. True, up here in Seattle, you do have to be more careful about the gumming up. Rather than convert his car,however, he uses a formula of lye and methanol to reduce the viscosity. He also used commercially sold bio-diesel, which is expensive, but very reliable and does not gum up in cold weather. We took his car to Canada for a snow trip over the holidays and it ran fine.
    When he first started running the car on bio-diesel, we were outside the house and he was demonstrating the lack of noxious fumes by positioning himself on his hands and knees with his nose up to the exhaust. Our neighbor came out, looked at Lyle, and said, "shouldn't you be doing that with a vacuum cleaner hose in your garage with the door shut?"
    We are happy about drastically reducing our dependency on the grid. He, completely, and me, by about 50% when my Prius comes home. Lyle would be happy to share his ideas with any of you who might be interested. Contact me off chat line and I will give you his email address.
    Hugs,
    Bob

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The supply of used fry oil probably could not replace a large percentage of our petrolium dependence, but the real point here is that there are hundreds of ways of substituting renewables for fossil fuel, and this is one of them. A biodiesel car here, a wind tower there, a solar panel somewhere else, a nice steep clif to push the SUVs off of... there is enough renewable energy to run our world if we can break away from the idea that one single fuel has to do everything.

BTW, re: the need to start on one fuel and then switch to another, I once worked on a farm where I sometimes had to drive a Super WD-4 tractor. (I think that's what it was called.) You started it on gasoline, let it warm up for about 5 minutes, and then switched to diesel by simultaneously throwing about three switches, one of which shut off the spark to the spark plugs, one of which switched the fuel line from gas to diesel, and one of which raised the compression. Horrid black clouds of smoke spewed out as the engine lugged piteously, and then slowly picked up, and in another five minutes the tractor was ready to go.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i saw a tv show on techtv about the guy with the biofuel car.

witnesses say that the exhaust smelled just like french fries.

oh great i can see the headlines now...

"Alternative Fuel Accused of Making Americans Obese!"