1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Man-Made: Bugatti Super Car (Veyron) ep on NGC

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Mar 14, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Man-Made | Bugatti Super Car | National Geographic Channel

Ok, I finally got around to watching this today even though it got recorded almost a month ago. It was very good (esp in HD) and went into the crazy manufacturing process for this car (and crazy German overengineering). An insane amount of this car is handmade and has systems that as they mention have way more parts than in regular cars. For instance, they said the engine has over 3500 parts which they said it is nearly 2x as many as that of an engine in a compact car. The gas tank has 250 parts, 5x the number for a normal gas tank.

I didn't realize that the rear wing functions switches to be an air brake when you brake at above a certain speed nor that the car has 10 radiators. The tires will last only 6000 miles yet cost $17K for a set of 4. The rear part of the car is connected to the front part via only 14 bolts, each of them is made of titanium and each costs $100.

Some more facts at Man-Made | Bugatti Super Car | National Geographic Channel.

I didn't realize that VW's has a closed test track w/60 miles of roads.

They mention at top speed of 253 mph, it gets 3 mpg and at that rate, its 26 gallon tank is gone in ~12 minutes. :eek: With 1001 hp, 0-62 mph in 2.5 seconds and supposedly 0-185 mph in <17 seconds, this is probably the ultimate street legal anti-Prius.

It doesn't look like it'll be rerun in the next 2 weeks, but set an auto-record wish list (or equivalent) on your PVR if you receive NGC.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just found a someone had uploaded this to YouTube around the time I posted this and it's amazingly still there. Part 1 is
    . I leave is an exercise to the reader to find the rest.

3. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quad turbos. :hail: