1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

maniac Prius drivers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elmofongo, Feb 22, 2006.

1. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just don't get it.

I've encountered so many Prius drivers dutring my commute on the freeway who drive like maniacs!
    I mean going at 80+ mph while weaving, zigzaging, and tailgating.
    Who are these people? Why did they buy a Prius? Driving the Prius like a race
    car defies the whole purpose of owning one. Did they steal those cars? Did they
    borrow them from their wives while their Hummers are being serviced?

In my experience, driving a Prius encourages you to drive in more calm and relaxing way.

I just don't get it.

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    granted, i'm not a maniac like that but sometimes i will punch it around curves and from stops cause the prius is a fun car..

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are certain percentage of Prius drivers bought Prius because of the HOV stickers. They probably couldn't care less about saving fuel and reducing emission. I once got cut-off within a couple feet by a Prius. Imagine my anger!!?!

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The vast majority of Prius buyers just wanted a more fuel-efficient car. And no matter what your driving style, the Prius is more efficient than any other car of similar size. Don't assume Prius drivers are radical environmentalists. Some folks would say driving a car at all is irresponsible.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    when i was younger (and gas was much cheaper) i drove that way and it wouldnt surprise me much if i drove that way had i a Prius waaay back then... but times change. that is what makes MOST of us superior... our ability to adapt

6. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

It is a fun car but it doesn't have the acceleration that encourages aggressive driving...

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well then i'm not driving aggressively. i still think its fun

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It has enough accelleration for me! :) But then I'm not on the road swerving and cutting people off. Just a lot of semi-jackrabbit starts for me I guess. I like to get up to speed as quickly as possible before coasting to the next stoplight.

There are bound to be crazy, unobservant, unsafe drivers out there, and it doesn't matter what car they drive. I have to count on myself to be doubly aware when I'm driving, paying attention first to what I'm doing/how I'm driving, and secondly paying close peripheral attention to those around me.

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It is a fun car but it doesn't have the acceleration that encourages aggressive driving??????

I have a varible lead foot, sometimes I drive to save fuel/money other times Im in a hurry. Hell the car goes from 0-60 in 9.5 seconds.. thats pretty fast A police interceptor goes 0-60 in 7 seconds.. still pretty fast .. cant say much for cutting and swerving..

And yes Im not a tree hugger! I purchased the car for the following reasons: nice spaceship styling, sporty, small on the outside big on the inside, quick & most of all it has saved me $2300 in gas the first year of ownership..

One thing everyone should remember ,
    "Driving a car is not a Rite, its a privlage"..

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those must be the car reviewers. Give them time and they'll write a review declaring that they achieved nowhere near EPA estimates.

11. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why do maniacs buy the Prius? Easy: More MPG (Mania Per Gallon)!

12. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeh.....I could care less about speeding all over the frwys......

The main reason I purchased mine......

1. chick magnet
    A desirable car which impresses the ladies.
    "This car is a chick magnet"

easy girls.......there's enough to go around for all of you!

[​IMG]

13. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get it and I love racing about... in my Acura NSX. My Prius just doesn't compare so I don't bother.

14. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Around the DC Metro Area, there's a pretty good correlation between Agressive Prius Drivers and the Clean Fuel tags needed for HOV access.

That's not to say all folks who have the Clean Fuel tags are aggressive drivers. But, if you see a Prius driving like it's a Ralley, odds are probably 90% it will have the tags.

15. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    scale modeling?

man i'd like to get a body like that. hey you knwo what exercises I could do in my cubicle? Everyone's gone for the rest of the week so I have absolutely NOTHING to do while I'm here :)

*does imaginary punches on rmarchena* TAEEEBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Husband Dan and Foxy get their kicks by rattling SUV doors as they go screaming by!

I scold Dan if he does this while I'm in the car, tell him that he's abusing MY car. But the smug buggah gets better MPGs than I do. :blink:

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    every now and again i gotta take the car out for a joyride. the car likes it, i like it, it's all good. :D

18. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Maybe they're just trying to tear down some Prius stereotypes. Do they also have NRA & W stickers? Straight Pride?

19. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok.. i admit.. i drive like a maniac... but that's like my 20th time admiting it.. it's fun... sure.. my previous cars were faster (Lincoln Mark VII 5.0L HO V8) and could out handle my car (318i BMW)... but i never get below 40mpg... and i usually don't get below 45mpg... only reason being is because i usually hold a steady speed, so the hybrid system doesn't take a discharge beeting causing mpg to drop.

I could get fifties.. and well... 60's if i want.. but that's not fun in bay area traffic... it's probably dangerous. hehe

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Around here when someone in a Prius goes bombing pass me it usually has “exempt†state plates on it . Part of the motor pool!