1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Manual & EV Button?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmccord, May 25, 2006.

1. jmccord

jmccord New Member

Just label me curious, but....
    since the EV Button is offered as an option on the Prius in other countries, does that mean the Owner's Manual in these countries addresses its use?
    If so, perhaps someone could post an english language excerpt of what Toyota has to say about using the optional EV feature.
    Does PriusChat.com have many members outside NA?

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ May 25 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]260761[/snapback]</div>
    UK manual was posted...
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=14582&st=1

Ken@Japan

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And it isn't an option elsewhere, it's a standard feature.

4. jmcclun

jmcclun New Member

I don't know what was going on last night but I drove all over town for about 15 minutes in Electric only mode. Speed was 20 - 35 mph, mostly slow accelration, stop and go and the ICE only came on on the slope near home. The battery went from All Green bars to about 4 bars at home. What would EV do different? Allow more time in stealth?

5. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ May 25 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]260777[/snapback]</div>
    Ken, thanks for the reference link.
    This archive is as large as it is helpful. :D
    Thanks again.
    James

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 25 2006, 04:12 AM) [snapback]260829[/snapback]</div>
    The EV switch allows you to go into electric mode at times when the car does not do so on its own. You experienced a time when the car did. But there are times when you want electric mode and the car does not do so on its own.

The EV switch allows you to put a LITTLE more pressure on the accelerator pedal without the engine starting up.

The EV switch allows you to prevent the engine from starting when you first turn the car on. This is useful if you are just going to take it out of the garage to wash it, or to move it somewhere else. Otherwise the engine will start after about ten seconds.

On the down side, if you use the EV switch to enter electric mode, it will start the engine when you reach 34 mph, whereas if the car goes into electric mode on its own, without your having used the EV switch, it can go up to 42 mph in electric. Similarly, if you are going between 34 and 42 mph, the EV switch will not work, whereas the car can go into electric mode on its own.

All the above are subject to all the other limitations regarding temperatures, rate of acceleration, etc. In short, the EV switch gives you some discretion you don't have otherwise.

7. WFO

WFO New Member

Every time I read a thread about the EV button I keep thinking, "why don't people just drive it without kicking on the engine?"

It's pretty easy once you "learn" how to do it. Just barely press the accelerator and be patient. Once you get up to 10mph the rate of acceleration increases and you can maintain electric-only up to about 43mph. 43mph is barely fast enough...and from what they say here, with the button it's a lowely 34mph.

I don't really see the point in a button and the time and energy to install one. :unsure:

8. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WFO @ Jun 19 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]273410[/snapback]</div>

I was in this uncertainty mindset too until just recently. I was driving home and about half mile from home I wanted to kick into EV mode. But the car was just stubborn. I have done this a huge number of times but THIS time it wouldn't do it. Why? I have no idea. The battery was full except for one bar. I gave the accelerator a barely perceptable push and it just would NOT kick in. What did I do wrong?

After reading Daniel's very lucid explanation I finally understand. And because of this I am now putting an EV option on the table. Will be looking for one. I kinda like the one which uses the cruise control to activate it but I do not think I will be able to stand it if he doesn't ship it in a timely manner. I think you guys know who I am talking about. If anyone has one they haven't installed yet and want to sell it send me a private message.

Cheers

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WFO @ Jun 19 2006, 08:30 AM) [snapback]273410[/snapback]</div>
    Because you can't. Not when you start up, at least. And that's when I use it the most. I have to shuffle my cars around the garage/driveway. Without the button the ICE will kick on EVERY time since the car is cold.

The other time I use it is when I want EV mode, but still want some reasonable acceleration.

Ah. Well, this is a whole different subject. More than half the mods I do, I do because they're hard and useless. Call it a hobby... but please don't hold it against me. It is what I enjoy doing.

Man... I sure would like to have that "indicator light" mentioned in the Japan manual.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WFO @ Jun 19 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]273410[/snapback]</div>
    The time and energy is negligible.

Depending upon a number of conditions it can be hard or easy to maintain EV without an EV button. I know that I had a number of situations where the ICE would unexpectedly spin up when it was unnecessary just b/c I pushed just slightly too hard on the accelerator.

Also, you forget the other reason to have the EV button...to shut down the ICE once it's already spinning and you know it isn't necessary...ie. as in approaching stops.

Ultimately the EV is not a necessary tool. But for some of us it's the little extra 'kick' to boost our MPG 1-5% more when used properly. And it's fun.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 19 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]273705[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

you're alright, darell.

it's that attitude that got my husband into fixing cars. :)

three60: it's really not that difficult of a mod and you do get to know your car better :) give it some thought- and know there are a ton of folks here who are happy to help if you need it.

12. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

As for me, I was taking apart my steering collum a week after I got the car. I had to wait until my wife fell asleep to do it. I told her about the next day and she was a little worried. However, one time I tried to start EV mode when the battery was to low and a message popped up on the screen that said something like "Can not start EV mode now!" When she saw that it was in the programming of the car she was put at ease. I did the almost free EV mod the darelldd has links for on his web page. I have to tell you it was easy and I did it at night in a dark garage. Took less then one hour. I just had to buy some 22 gage wire and take out my soldering iron for a moment. For me I like it most for the cool factor. "Because I can." I use it in front of starbucks and get everyone sitting outside to stop and watch me go by without making a sound. Lots of fun.

13. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 19 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]273716[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the moral support.

Much appreciated.

14. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Common Three60Guy, you know our very own Tony would do the mod for you at a meet-up.

Wayne

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jun 19 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]273433[/snapback]</div>
    I have Coastal's and it's very easy to install. A couple of things about them, if it's in stock it'll come quickly. I ordered mine on a Saturday and it arrived (from Florida to California) in a little over a week. And as for the other thing, I see in your signature you have their auto lock. One of the wires you tap into is the same for the auto lock so it's a little tight there. The other methods you wouldn't have to worry about that.

16. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 25 2006, 09:55 AM) [snapback]260859[/snapback]</div>
    I find this very useful when I leave the house in the morning. I can use the battery to get all the way to the main road (1/4 mile) before needing to use the ICE. Then once I'm on the main road I kick in the gas engine, so instead of it running all the while when it's not needed, I let it do it's warm up cycle when I'm using it at the same time. I usually kick it in before the uphill slope so that it's not working full power immediately at startup, but I feel good about running the ICE less.