1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Manual Pulse and Glide at Slow Highway Speeds

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by markabele, Aug 22, 2013.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm talking basically about the equivalent of your standard pulse and glide in the regular Prius. But the PiP would allow you to do it up to 62 mph. However, you would manually have to toggle the HV/EV button to do it. It would be tiresome. Was curious if anyone has tried much of this?

IMO it would have to be only under certain conditions you could probably try this. Would obviously have to be low to no traffic (multi-lane) and some low rolling hills would probably help, too...not to mention speed limits of 55 or 60 mph.

2. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does the ICE in the PiP turns at speed above 40 mph? With the standard Prius, the ICE would turn at speed above 40 mph even though no fuel is pump into it. If the PiP behaves the same way, I doubt you would get good result from P&G at highway speed. In addition, the wind resistance is too great to make it worthwhile.

3. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You seem to be in the PiP forum a lot for a guy who doesn't own one and has said some bad things about them in the past.

Actually it's 46 mph and above the ICE has to run in a regular Prius. And in the PiP the ICE can turn off at 62 mph if EV is engaged.

4. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there a policy saying the forum is only for positive comments. I would apologize if I said something that is not true. If there is such a policy stating I'm only allowed to give positive comments, I will comply.

Before I purchase my Prius, I was glad that people were making negative comments about the Prius as long as they were true. I would buy a PiP as soon as I feel the price is reasonable for me. I would buy any EV's if the price is reasonable for that matter.

PS: Aren't the PiP owners spending too much time in the Prius forum?

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PiP HV mode - 46 mph
    PiP EV mode - 62 mph

You can accelerate to 62 mph in HV mode and glide with engine off in EV mode. You need to press the HV/EV toggle button. I find it fun like manual transmission. I am shifting between HV and EV modes.

I do it to keep the engine/coolant at operating temp so I won't get hit with (near) cold start warmup later on. This is an advance technique and hard to quantify the benefit. I find it fun to manually manage both power sources by using them when they are most beneficial. It keeps the drive interesting and enjoyable. Of course I can just leave it in EV mode and "just drive it" but that will be boring. ;)

6. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking about doing a test. It would be about a 10 mile round trip stretch of highway. On one test I would set the cruise control at about 57 or 58 mph. On the other test I would P&G between about 50-62 mph. This would roughly give me the same overall average speed. It would be interesting to see how the MPG numbers compare.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How will you make sure both trips use the same number of EV miles? Perhaps, just charge it up to a few miles.

8. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would do my absolute best on the glides to not actually use any EV. I would try to be in a true glide.

And in theory in HV on cruise control it should use any EV.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, that's fine. You can do that test first.

I think part of the benefit is to extend the glide (depending on terrain) with some electric. So you minimize the engine start/stop penalty.

10. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya, definitely. But I think as a baseline, just to see how much more efficient it is, I would want to do pure glides.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm reasonable confident in the following (just my own) opinion: at highway speeds 'driving with load' (DWL) is effective. All the other tricks -- and particularly P&G -- is a waste of time and effort.

P&G below 45 mph is the cat's meow.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is smaller window to glide as the air and rolling resistance is about 15 hp. The gas engine can be at optimal BSFC at 15hp.

It may just come down to the friction loss of ICE vs MG1 (at higher rpm).

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My argument, which is admittedly reasoned and not backed up by quality data, is that the ICE is still beholden to the transmission (in the Prius case, an e-cvt) to enter a low rpm, high torque condition. More time spent hunting is less time in that magical 38% efficiency state.

Years ago Hobbit wrote that his highway fuel economy reached a peak when he stopped messing around and just let the Prius enter into 'overdrive' (high gear in a manual.) To that I add: get there, and stay put.

Gentle rolling hills in a car that can glide at the speeds driven would be an exception to my 'just DWL it!' rule.

fuzzy1 likes this.