1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Many Codes and Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Donutz, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Donutz

Donutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all. I have searched and searched the forum and I can't seem to find anything that is really what I have going on. As with many posts that I have found, I have a lot of lights coming on the dash. Let me get started with the past.
    A few months back, my wife (2007 Prius (its her car... I very rarely get into this car)) was telling me that she had some stuff going on with it. I found the diagnostic test for the 12 v battery and it failed. So I replaced the 12v and everything was fine until about two weeks ago. Two weeks ago, she got a check engine light. Then she stopped the car and when she fired back up again, the light was extinguished. So, I figured no big deal. Yesterday, she went to leave and the car was lit up like a Christmas tree. So she took my truck to work and left me a note about this. She figured I would drive my garage queen Vette... but I chose to drive the Prius to see if I could figure out some things, which I did. Here is everything that I noticed thus far:
    First, I will start with lights. Brake System Warning light is on, Check engine malfunction indicator is on, Red triangle with exclamation point Master warning light is on, VSC Vehicle stability control system warning light is on. Then on the tv screen panel, the Hybrid system warning light is on. I ran down to O'Reilly's to see what codes it pulled, and this is what I have: C0200 Right VSS, C0205 Left VSS, C1259 Regeneritive Malfunction, C1310 Malfunction H/V System, P1121 Coolant flow control, X2 Valve Sensor Circuit stack, P0A80 Replace Hybrid Battery Pack, P3015 Battery Block 5 Becomes Weak, P3016 Battery Block 6 becomes weak, and then a few more repeats.
    What I have looked at and what I have noticed/experienced thus far: At the beginning of the day yesterday, when stopped at a light, the engine would turn on and then shut off frequently (approx every 20 seconds). A lot more than normal. As of today, the engine just stays on constantly... even after the battery indicator shows full, it stays running. The battery cooling fan stays running. Sometimes the car lacks power at start out, When slowing down, I tried selecting the "B" as I know that it would normally work as a trans brake and help regenerate power, it doesn't seem to be doing that and it seems as though the tranny doesn't know exactly what to do. I checked the 12v battery again through the diagnostic and it says it was at 12.2v so that should be good. I noticed that the battery indicator will show full and then just drop down to one bar and then go back up to full and stay at full for a while. Lastly, I saw the inverter check and I did that... by turning the car on (ready on) and I can see the fluid moving around and I can feel it in the tube and the fluid level is good.
    Hopefully, with all of that, someone can give me a good starting point or some hints and tips as to where to look next. From what I have been reading and deducing, it sounds to me as if the ECM/ECU may be bad. Or maybe the HV battery. I was leaning towards the ECM/ECU just because of all of the different fluctuations, but with electrical stuff, it could very well be the battery.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? 12.2 is a bad 12 volt. 13.0 is new. you may want to check it with a voltmeter after the car has been off a few hours.

3. Donutz

Donutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you carry any pets that might clog the cooling fan? is the rear vent unobstructed? how is your oil level?

5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    AND while it is running too. His "new" battery might not be charging properly.

12.2 indicates that it is discharged a bit beyond half capacity, NOT that it is bad necessarily.

Anyhow, a good charge on the 12 V and disconnecting it for a minute to reset most of the codes and fault indicators should get it going again......but maybe not for long.

6. Donutz

Donutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, we don't put any pets in the car and the battery vent stays unobstructed. When the car is running, it is showing 14+v's going to the battery.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can google the codes if you want. or perhaps someone who knows them will jump in.

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    C0200 and C0205 indicate the front speed sensors have a problem. Usually only one at a time go bad, due to debris or road damage. But both at once is a bit unusual. Visual inspection would be the place to start, by removing the wheels. Look for wire harness damage. Sometimes rodents will chew cables.

The P0A80 and the associated weak cell blocks, along with the battery display jumping around and the battery fan running, are unanimous in saying that it is time to consider your options for battery replacement. Much to read on this site about that lately, as the 9-10 year old cars have failing batteries with increasing frequency.

The other regen related codes are caused by the above. I doubt there are any ECU failures at this point. The Prius electronics seem to be the most reliable part.

The flow control valve problem will cause the check engine light to come on. It can be ignored for the moment as it is not important for car performance.

Always check the battery connections for tightness, especially the negative lead going to the chassis connection bolt.

bisco likes this.
  9. Donutz

Donutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is an update as to where I stand... I pulled the 12 volt battery out, cleaned the connections, and took the battery to O'reilly's for a check up. Everything tested good in the battery. I re-installed it and started the car. It seemed fine last night. Today, I went out to the car and started it and all of the problems are back on the car as listed above.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how old is the 12v battery?

11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is always best to check the battery while it is in the car with a voltmeter, using the jump points under the hood. That checks more of the situation than a vague look by the car parts store.

12. Donutz

Donutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12v battery is 3 months old.

13. Donutz

Donutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are the jump points under the hood? Can you show a pic or be descriptive??? Thank you in advance!

14. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Consider going through the owners manual to be more familiar with the car. It is very helpful.

If you do not have one, you'll have to download the sections from Toytoa, Toyota Owners Resource Center: Owners Manuals, Automotive Glossary, Warranty, Safety Information, and assemble the PDF files into one w/ a PDF editing program or scanner software (like PaperPort).

EDIT: The jumper points in the engine compartment is the easiest way to measure 12V battery voltage, as you don't have to remove all the stuff in the trunk to get to the 12V battery. However, for the most accurate measurement would be at the battery terminals. Don't know how much of a difference battery terminals vs jumper points would produce.

Attached Files:

15. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The idea is that the jump point voltage also tests the wiring coming from the battery to the front of the car. Knowing that it is good at that point can eliminate such things as corrosion or damage to those long wires, which is very rare but has been reported.

To the OP, I suspect that the 12V battery is not your problem, but we always want to make sure before proceeding. It is clear that your HV battery problem will need to be dealt with, so you should decide how you want to do that.

16. Donutz

Donutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will check the 12v in the morning after it sits overnight. I found a place in Charlotte NC that will R&I the HV batt and give an unlimited mile 18 month warranty for $1k....seems like a good deal to me... Thoughts?

17. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  18. Donutz

Donutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, I will have to look at your link. I found this guy on ebay actually. I live in Georgia. From where I live, I can be up to Charlotte in 4 hours or over to Atlanta in 3.5 hours. I know the guy I spoke with from Charlotte said it would take him 45 minutes and he would be willing to do it on a Saturday for me...
    Also, something new. I took the car out today and it still had the usual issues, but seemed to run ok. My wife said she would drive her car back home and I could have my truck back. About 5 minutes later, she called and said something was wrong, it didn't want to go. I told her to pull over and switch vehicles with me and I would go back roads and call a tow truck if needed. When I got in the car, it showed the battery had one bar and was in the purple and there was no charge going to it at all. When pulling out from a stop sign, it would take it 2 minutes or so just to get up to 20 mph... it wasn't taking from the battery nor was it giving back to it. So I pulled over and was ready to call a tow truck. I let it sit off for a few minutes and then turned it on to try it again. It was back to its normal old self (still all the lights, but running fine). Is that an indication of anything?

19. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Symptoms you are describing seems identical to what others have reported w/ a failing HV Battery. You probably are hearing a fan in the back too? Stop driving the car until the battery is replaced.

DON'T use those eBay battery repair people! You will absolutely regret it! They will just swap out the bad cell(s) w/o balancing the entire pack (there are 28 modules in the pack, BTW. The car will work for a short period of time (hours, days, maybe a week or two) then throw the HV battery codes, and you are in the same position again. MANY, MANY, MANY posts about this; module(s) replacement w/o rebalancing the entire pack = guaranteed Groundhog Day (1993 Bill Murray movie).

If you are looking for longevity, a NEW pack from Toyota is BEST. There are many dealerships who sell on-line. Their on-line prices are way less than the retail counter prices. You will just have to Internet search and find a dealer that will sell you the HV Pack; there have been confirmed reports of some dealers being lame by selling this item only to mechanics or auto repair shops. Camelback Toyota (Phoenix) sells HV Battery packs for $2,175; unknown if they will sell to the lay public.

Rebuilt packs, IMO aren't worth it, if you plan to keep the car and want trouble free operation. Yes, can be considerably less than NEW. But, if you are able to get Internet pricing for a New HV Battery from a dealer, NEW isn't that much more than a rebuilt, but has a greater likelihood of longevity.

The original HV pack in your car went 140,000miles. Highly unlikely a rebuilt pack will get that.

Just think of the HV Battery as a clutch disc and pressure plate for a manual transmission. These items will wear out and require replacing. The cost is expensive. But when you look at the number of miles you got, the cost per mile isn't that bad. Also, you wouldn't put in a used clutch disc or pressure plate when doing this repair. This is what the "rebuilt/refurbished/reconditioned" HV Batteries are. They can't replace the wear items as can be done with a remanufactured clutch disc and pressure plate. They just give you modules that seem to have the best life left in them.

$2175new HV Battery/140,000miles = $.015/mile, not bad.

#19 exstudent, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  20. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The symptoms are also similar to a completely failed 12 V battery.
    He should ***NOT*** be paying anybody $1-2000 for a "new" HV battery without first being absolutely sure he needs one.

P.S. And most of the time, people who can actually afford to pay $2K for a repair probably aren't driving a 7 year old car with 150K miles on it.