1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Many problems on 07 Prius, worth fixing it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cibelly Aguiar, May 16, 2018.

1. Cibelly Aguiar

Cibelly Aguiar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

A couple months ago I related on another thread that my 07 Prius has a smell of gas inside the cabin that doesn't go away. I'll link it here for more details.

My mpg is really low too, last year, when I got it from my dad, it used to be around 40/50 mpg, I have half a tank now and I drove for 145 miles since the last time I was refueling. I feel like it's lower than expected.

There's also a problem with the exhaust system, which has happened before (and it got welded back in, but then a burning smell started to come out of the vents and since then I've been smelling weird stuff, smells goes way with A/C on recicurlate mode), the car gets a harsh noise and it's not so silent when stopped, took it to the mechanics, he showed me some things that were loose under the vehicle, but it's the second time it happens since I first got it (don't know if the problems can be related to each other).

My two airbag lights, the passenger and driver ones are on, the passenger says "airbag off" and the driver one stays one, tried to reset it using the computer, it goes away a little, then it comes right back. Is it okay leaving it like that?

Sorry for the number of questions, but I'm a car newbie and every place I go people try to overcharge me because I don't know much about cars.

Thank you for the help!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? probably only worth diy, otherwise, sell to someone who can and get yourself a new one.

3. Cibelly Aguiar

Cibelly Aguiar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Almost 175k... Yeah, if I’m able to fix it by myself, I will...

4. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    DIY is always gonna be less expensive. But if it's your only mean's of transportation, that's a lot of extra stress on you. 175k is apparently no big deal for these car's, if taken care of. But it seems clear that something has happened in the past to yours's??

Do you have a Hybrid shop close to you? I think those guys will give you a square deal. A regular Garage that is honest will say "Uh yeah no, go somewhere or else" if they don't have a clue. The "crook's will say sure no problem. "Hybrid Shop's" don't seem to do that. Not out here anyway, and people know who they are.

When a Prius is good, they are very good, It depends on who had it first? But a bad one can easily rival the pain of ownership of a "Porsche or a BMW!" :(