1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Map compartment door replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by McKeeius, Feb 16, 2010.

1. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I recently disassembled most of the dash to get to my head unit and stock stereo. I have an aftermarket unit installed in the compartment beneath the stock stereo what I am calling the 'map compartment' the one with the tinted hinged door on it.

Well in the process i completely got that door off and a hinge came off, with a spring as well. Now I am lost on how to put it all back together? Any clues? Any guides?

The guides for head unit installation just show how to take the entire casing off, and not the specific door and hinge piece.:confused:

2. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry to hear about the door. Not sure I know how to help exactly, but perhaps if you also post some pics, someone else might at least be able to take a stab at it. Any pics?

3. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    FWIW I was able to fix the dam door, what happened is I got a little reckless trying to take out the head unit, mfd, and compartment and just started unscrewing every screw I could find, which led to the door falling off and the spring popping out.

The retracting action of the door is held together by a tension spring and is MAJOR pain in the butt to figure out how to pop it back in there, you have to load the spring it was really not fun. Just use care when unscrewing things around the head unit to be sure not to unscrew the hinges holding the door on there.

4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <whew> glad to hear you got it sorted out and thanks for sharing the tip.

- D

5. cooterpls

cooterpls New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Made an account just to say: my little spring popped off and I had a very hard time getting it back together. You have to remove the little hinges and untension the spring to replace the door, which I was doing cause mine was broken. To retension the spring I replaced the whole door back in it's spot, put the hinge pieces on and screwed it all together leaving the spring in place but not hooked or tensioned on anything. Tighten all the screws on both sides and then use needle nose pliers to hook the short side of the spring on it's corresponding hook on the little hinge piece. the other spring arm will fall into place on its own. Leave the door fully closed while you do this. Hope it helps someone else in 10 years.

bisco likes this.