1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Marital Status and Insurance Rates

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by New Revelation, Apr 15, 2007.

1. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a question that's been bugging me for awhile. I normally hate asking questions because sometimes it seems dumb to ask them but, is there a possibility that single people have a slight disadvantage when it comes to insurance rates?

First off, I am 30 now (just turned on March 30th), single and never married and no kids. Yet when I have been checking rates for my 2007 Prius and Olds, I keep getting rates of $2,500 a year, which is quite expensive. And breaking it down results to about $235 a month for me. That's expensive. And this is with the Prius as the commuter vehicle with full coverage (23 miles one way) and the Olds as pleasure vehicle which is an 84 model and only needs liability.

Recently I have just changed around the policy to make the Prius the pleasure vehicle and the Olds as the work car, and that lowered the monthly rate to about $206 or so. But that's still too expensive though, especially when I have read past postings here of the majority of you guys paying way less for insurance.

But as I have observed, the majority of you guys here are married and have homes and families and such, which I do not have. Maybe that's where the lower rates are going to? I know it sucks being single in some cases especially for a male since things seem to cost more, but there's no hope of me ever marrying in my lifetime so I am not sure how that works.

Anyway, should I check around for possibly a better rate? I know there are alot of factors including areas but even though i know that MI requires no-fault (and some other fees I found out the state tacks on) but mann, this is ridiculous. Actually I plan to move to TX in about 2 months so I will have to get a quote where I am moving to anyway. I have an excellent driving record with no tickets or accidents (being a semi driver keeping a good record is very important).

Basically i'm just wondering if single people get charged higher rates just for being single? Using credit scores for rates is bad enough.

2. SpartanScott

SpartanScott Michigan Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do believe I have heard that it is in general more expensive for single owners. I am also shopping for insurance in Michigan and you should be able to find a price cheaper than $2500/yr. I am 21yo and single with a clean record and I currently have AAA insurance for $1600/year but am hoping to get quotes more around $1200/year.

3. cc9150

cc9150 New Member

It may also be that you don't own a home with a garage. If your car is outside in a parking lot at an apartment complex, it's more likely to suffer damage.

You have one car with collision/comprehensive insurance (the new Prius) and one without (the old Olds). How much is the collision/comprehensive part? Ask your agent how much that would go down if you had a home with a garage, were married, had kids, and so on.

I have a car with liability only, and it's even insured up to the point where its liability coverage is the deductible for my umbrella policy. It's insured up to 300K liability. I pay a few pennies under $300/year. I paid a few bucks more when I used it for work, but now it's just pleasure.

4. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's not just being single, it's being a single man. When I was widowed, my insurance didn't go up. What made it go up was moving from a house with garage in an upscale suburb to a condo in downtown Milwaukee. Even though my car was in an underground parking garage, my insurance went way up because my zip code was high risk. My agent told me that the garage made no difference in that zip code. To keep the insurance affordable, I increased my deductibles to $1000 or more.

Now that I'm back in the suburbs with a garage (and the same zip code as the house I lived in previously), my insurance (with the high deductibles for liability & collision) is under $600 per year for the '07 Prius (which is not used as a commuter car any more).

(And when my daughter divorced her husband, her insurance went down. I'll bet his went up!)

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Insurance rates are based on statistical risk tables. Young unmarried men are the highest risk because they are more likely (statistically) to drive recklessly. As Judy pointed out, location is also a factor. I am a never-married man, 58 years old, and my rates went down each time I passed a set age. I pay $812 per year to insure my 2004 Prius, in a low-risk part of a low-risk city (Spokane). My deductible is $250.

So, yes, you are paying a premium for being unmarried. And you are paying it because others in your age / gender / marital-status category are jerks at a higher rate than other categories. Statistically, young married men drive more carefully than young single men. But you are also paying more because you are insuring two cars.

6. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe you should be able to find a company that will lower your rates over time for not making claims.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That seems pretty expensive now that you're 30. And it does vary with location and also driving record. Have you had any tickets or accidents.

That said, you should get a two vehicle discount.

Check rates at 21st century. They offer discounts for multiple vehicles, good drivers, certain organizations if you're a member, and if you insure your home with them as well as your vehicles.

8. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 15 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]423708[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, no tickets or accidents, and the premium now is with the two vehicle discount among the others. Unfortunately i am not a homeowner but I will start checking around...I know there has to be a more cost-effective way.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like others said, there are a lot of reasons insurance companies use to charge you high rates. I would definitely shop around a bit and see if you can get a better deal - I'm a 25 year old single male, and my rates are something like 1/3 what you're paying (with a few tickets on my record, too). But i'm also in another state with only one car.