1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Market for a Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Joshua Ventura, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Joshua Ventura

Joshua Ventura Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I am in the market for a new Prius C.

I am looking on Craigslist for vehicles because affordable price.

I have a black 2013 Prius C Two with 73k for $10,295
    or...
    A white 2012 Prius C Two with 24k for $11,995

Both clean vehicles with good CarFaxs. I like both but I'm leaning more towards the black because it's more newer but more mileage. I don't know anything about Prius C. I am driving a 2013 Toyota Corolla with 53,575 miles on it.

What are you thoughts on it?
    Anything I should look out for? Questions I should ask.

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The two cars are not that different, remember you are buying unused miles, the more the merrier. I mean you should consider the lower mileage car all else being equal.

3. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Same model car, just a little gap months in when they were made. Do the math 73k/3yrs = 24k m/yr OR 24k/4yrs = 6k m/yr...somebody is doing some crazy uber'ing/delivering/ or just whatever with their 3yr old car

take the one that has less wear and tear (not to mention its color attracts less heat = more efficient in summer) even if it's almost $2k more, it's probably more peace of mind and almost 50k miles less that is yet to be driven

#3 SwhitePC, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first, i would test drive a new one to get a feel and make sure you like it. all other things being equal, i would go for the '12, but they both look like good cars.

5. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd go with the 2012 with the lower mileage. SwhitePC pointed out that the previous owner put in 73k miles in 3 years time, imo that car has already been through the ringer.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Joshua, what's wrong with the Corolla? Why sell a car to buy one with 20000 more miles on it?

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course over the internet, without actually seeing or physically checking either out, who knows?

But in general I'd be much more interested in the vehicle with nearly 50,000 less miles.

8. The Inquisitor

The Inquisitor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Going simply by what you tell us of the two vehicles, I would first consider the one with 24k miles on it.

Big deal if the black one is one model year newer. It has a ~50,000 more miles on it. Think about it.

9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lesser miles always.....and black cars look bad with age....

10. Gabriel Rockman

Gabriel Rockman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would stick with the 2013 Toyota Corolla unless you need a second car for your family or something.
    No reason to sell the 2013 Toyota Corolla to buy a 2012 or 2013 Toyota Prius C. But if you're keeping the Corolla and buying a Prius C in addition to it, I would go with the car with the lower mileage. You really don't want to have to pay for repairs or replacement on the hybrid system, and if someone put 73k miles on a 2013 already, the hybrid system may need to be replaced much sooner than it would on the 2012 car.

djdawn likes this.
  11. Joshua Ventura

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  12. Joshua Ventura

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The reason I want to sell my Toyota Corolla, it has some heavy wear on the vehicle and I drive everyday from OC to LA or San Diego daily. I commute to work a lot and I fill my tank every 2 days. I am looking for a bit more on the gas mileage. I took my Corolla to CarMax to get a appraisal and I received 10K for the vehicle. Any other places I should take it besides Toyota dealerships to get a higher appraisal? Plus the Prius C keeps a higher reseller value even if it's a 2012 compared to my 2013 Toyota Corolla. Gas mileage is a big difference too as you can tell in the fuel economy picture. My Corolla front end is messed up badly and I have dents all around the car from heavy wear, it's to the case where my front right bumper side keeps coming off. I would need to fix the bumper and because I got the vehicle in a minor accident. So why not start new with a Prius C and get into the Prius family. I am looking to save money. What do you guys think?

13. Joshua Ventura

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    image.png For example going to New York on a road trip or far distances save me money.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let's figure what the whole transaction is going to cost you, and how much you'll save each year in gas.

15. dborn

dborn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion, the first thing you need to do is go try a Prius C if you haven't done that yet to see if you like it. It's a fun little car but it's more of a city car than a long distance highway cruiser and it's certainly underpowered compared to most cars on the road (that said, we have one and we love it). Second, I would fix the Corolla before selling it, and if you want to maximize your return, try selling it to a private party as this can make a difference of over $1000. (Not that I would personally do this as it's more trouble) and yes, definitely go with the lower mileage car if you do go through with it.

Good luck,
    Daniel

P.S. EPA ratings are not promises, if you want to get those numbers, you'll need to learn to drive a hybrid the "right" way. If you just stomp it and drive in the left lane on the highway, you might not get those numbers.

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you drive "normal" you will still get better than a car EPA rated less. Driving a new Prius c won't help much either because they changed the vehicle since to two examples you are considering. Regular Prius and especially the "c" model is selling cheap right now so I would consider a new purchase if budget allows.