1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Marketing the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DolphinC, Mar 25, 2007.

1. DolphinC

DolphinC New Member

Do you believe that Toyota has done well with the little advertising on the Prius? Obviously not if they collectiing dust at the dealership? How would you suggest they improve their marketing strategy in order to move the hybrids?

Question is open to all, as a Marketing Manager, I would luv to hear your views?

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi DolphinC,

I really do not think this is a Toyota mistep, as a result of all the FUD (anti-marketing) being done by who knows who (probably GM).

Here is a link to FUD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUD

Just look around at the CNW Research stuff, and the Daily Mail article about the Subbury Canada 1970's Nickel production polution.

People in the US have been also been brainwashed that SUV's are safer. When an SUV has more traffic deaths per 100K miles than an equal weight car. When SUV's tip over, its that sudden whip-lash as the side of the SUV impacts the ground. People die in SUV's just like the Nascar driver, but at 50 mph, instead of 100 mph. Lately, it made national news that somebody drove a Prius into a gas station. Its common here in the winter to hear about SUV's loosing control and going through somebody's bedroom, or store front. But does it make national news? No.

The anouncement of the GM Volt concept is probably more anti-marketing directed at the Prius, especially since they are now trying to tone down the excitement it produced.

Another common technique by the Automotive Media hear is to lump all hybrids together, and claim a penalty common with some, that is not common to the Prius. For example that the Hybrid System is more complicated. When the Hybrid Synergy Drive (HSD) has more complicated controls (cheap) that allow for less complicated and consequently dramaically cheaper and more reliable automatic transmission (which also eliminates the traditional starter, and alternator). Indeed it appears the hybrid cost is less expensive than the hybrid battery on the Hybrid Synergy drive based on pricing of the batteries, and comments by an Toyota Engineer.

The car industry in the US is one of the few industries where the local professional service people have not been impacted by globalisation. The HSD is changing that. Fewer much more broadly trained technicians will be needed for the Prius and other Hybrid cars. The days where a guy could earn a living doing only mechanics duties of brake jobs, alternators and starters will end when the HSD is common. This represents probably 1/3 to 1/2 of automotive service people in the US. Consequently, there is allot of disinformation from this group, which have traditionally been a source for people to judge their new car purchase.

Another anti-marketing technique being used is that they compare apples to orange. For example comparing the Prius to a Yaris or Fit for mileage and cost. When the Prius is closer to the Camry in pasenger capacity. You know the Prius actually has a roomier front seat and rear seat leg room than a Honda Pilot? Of coruse the Pilot also has a third row, but even I was supprised at this when I first heard it. Or comparing the Prius by engine size and power, rather than 0 to 60 time, when the whole goal of Hybridisation is to use a smaller engine, and get acelleration from the motor torque.

One never hears about an inefficiency quotient for standard cars, that is the ratio of HP to 0-60 time. I had a 125 hp automatic transmission GM car, the same weight as the Prius, that was about 2 seconds slower in the 0-60 time. While the Prius is only rated at 106 hp. My old car engine could not spool up to the high RPM needed for 125 HP at low speeds. This is because it was being limited by having only 4 speeds in the transmission.

Hi Again DolphinC,

And of course this is the slow sales season for cars in the US anyway. People tend to buy cars just before or after the new model year change-over. This puts pressure on the dealership to come down in price on the present year's model.

In the northern parts of the US, people do not like to buy cars in the winter either, as who wants to run a new car around in all the salt and snow? It will just cause one year's sooner rust on the metal. Better to get the 3 to 9 months of salt free driving, so the car has less rust at resale, or lasts that one more season.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DolphinC @ Mar 25 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]411892[/snapback]</div>
    My Wife (as the #1 realtor in our city) is WAY into marketing, but not particularly APE about our Prius (as I am). Even SHE can see Prius marketing is paltry (her words). Now, with SO MANY of us prius owners that ARE ape over our beloved Prius' ... why the heck don't they do testimonial advertising? I'll bet TONS of us would love to spout off about our wonder-mobiles.

Testimonial advertising allows Toyota to spread phenominal stuff, from personal experience, that they'd normally not be able to say!! Think about it .. a slew of us, laughingly mocking the old AND new EPA ... telling how we can do OVER 60mpg, for example. Showing off our vehicles with add-on goodies, CANVIEW, all spouted with pride etc. We be comparing our 'issues' with our old Ford/GM product's reliability/mileage, comparing/contrasting our Prius' against the competition, etc etc. All I see from Toyota is 'you can get over 600 per tank . . . Now back to our program'. Sheesh!