1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

marketing unproven products

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Nov 2, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: FDA warns companies marketing unproven products, derived from marijuana, that claim to treat or cure cancer

As part of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s ongoing efforts to protect consumers from health fraud, the agency today issued warning letters to four companies illegally selling products online that claim to prevent, diagnose, treat, or cure cancer without evidence to support these outcomes. . . .

The FDA has grown increasingly concerned at the proliferation of products claiming to treat or cure serious diseases like cancer. In this case, the illegally sold products allegedly contain cannabidiol (CBD), a component of the marijuana plant that is not FDA approved in any drug product for any indication. . . .

Since high school, there has been a persistent fraud about pot, treating it the same as addictive opioids. It looks like the same FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) continues today. Although I agree with the FDA stated goal, they seem quite content to ignore other 'food additives' sold in various pills and nostrums.

I don't know if CBD has any medical use but I remember years when cannabis research required a premise looking for a bad effect. Given past practices, the FDA would be better served by citing studies quantifying the effects of CBD in double-blind studies.

Bob Wilson

pilotgrrl likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had understood that they have long been going after other products (non-cosmetic) claiming cures too, though with quite varying degrees of enthusiasm. Lacking proof, those products must stick to thinly veiled suggestions but no authoritative certainty.
    Due to those past premise requirements, I don't believe those double-blind studies exist. That is why there the current products can't expressly claim curative powers.

#2 fuzzy1, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got no patience with the medicinal marijuana "industry". At least when we were young and foolish we didn't bs about it.

The sad thing is that sick people, and/or their well-meaning but gullible relatives, in the case of sick kids, can get sucked in by this homeopathy nonsense, sometimes dying in the process.

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're in unchartered territory, although, i do remember seeing ads for the health benefits of tobacco and alcohol.

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The primary reason that the studies you want to see don't exist is because of their expense. Somebody has to pay significant money, and without a lock on using the results, it doesn't make sense. Why be the one to pay when anyone else can use the results without paying?

"Proving" a cancer cure is a difficult task, but recognizing pain or nausea relief is something anyone can do for themself.

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I first saw the thread title I though “All new products are unproven. The Prius was unproven when introduced 20 years ago.”
    You cannot have a proven history when there is no history.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Um, there are FDA approved drugs based upon the active compounds in marijuana already on the market, and more in the pipeline. Marinol has been out for decades now.
    10 Pharmaceutical Drugs Based on Cannabis - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

One of the donors to the anti-legalization side for the recreational pot vote in Arizona was a pharmaceutical company coming out with a synthetic marijuana drug.
    Pharma Company Funding Anti-Pot Fight Worried About Losing Business, Filings Show

This is a review article on the research into medical marijuana.
    Medical Marijuana for Treatment of Chronic Pain and Other Problems | Demyelinating Disorders | JAMA | The JAMA Network

pilotgrrl likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have to learn to differentiate between recreational use and medicinal use.

9. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Despite the research that has been done on the pharmaceutical drugs that contain cannabinoids, marijuana is a Schedule I drug:

SCHEDULE 1 (CLASS I) DRUGS are illegal because they have high abuse potential, no medical use, and severe safety concerns; for example, narcotics such as Heroin, LSD, and cocaine. Marijuana is also included as a Class 1 drug despite it being legal in some states and it being used as a medicinal drug in some states.

Schedule of Classes of Drugs - American RSDHope

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

William Redoubt and RCO like this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Marijuana is there because of politics. Hemp is a useful crop; grown by the colonists and Founding Fathers. An acre of it can make as much paper as 4 acres of forest. Which is why people building paper mills to use wood might take a negative view of it. Pharmaceutical companies also don't want the competition. Remember methadone is better than heroin.

Then the influence of racism in drug laws didn't start with the cocaine and crack divide.

#10 Trollbait, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    RobH, pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nixon's attempt to partially disenfranchise two groups from which he had little support.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    new one on cnn yesterday, a pill for people with uncontrollable laughing or crying. it is now being marketed to nursing homes for their residents with dementia even though little testing has been done.
    millions being paid by medicare, for scripts being written by unscrupulous doctors (psychiatrists) taking paybacks from the drug maker.

fuzzy1, RCO, RobH and 3 others like this.
  13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    CBD oils and CBD/THC oils with very minimal THC content have been shown to dramatically reduce the size of a tumor. Not federally approved or recognized in a controlled study yet, but those are the kinds of results that warrant a controlled study.

There have been some studies outside of the USA showing how pure CBD oil is effective, and how when added with a tiny amount of THC, the effectiveness skyrockets. This has nothing to do with pain or anything like that. 100% to do with the cancerous cells being attacked in a targeted fashion.

Also CBD oil (since it contains 0% THC) is NOT a Schedule I drug under federal law. You can legally purchase and fly and cross borders with it.

pilotgrrl and RobH like this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The stars are made of cream cheese, but I've got no evidence that I can quote to prove it. ;)