1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Marriage proposal ideas

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by radioprius1, Aug 22, 2009.

1. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys :) ... well maybe I want to talk to the girls here!

I need help with marriage proposal ideas. I finally got the ring, and now I need a good way to ask. She's not into the whole thing at a restaurant.

A couple of ideas I had:

1. We live together and she works on the weekends while I get to sleep in some times. I was thinking of taking the ring, in the box, and putting it in her work pants so when she puts them on she'll have this bulge in her pants and pull it out, and when I see her pull it out I could drop to one knee.

2. Put the ring on a little string and put it around our dogs neck. Then when she's petting the dog she'll feel it and be confused, look at it, and then realize what it is, then I drop to one knee. :)

I know those are really lame. I'd love to hear any clever ways that you guys proposed or how you girls were proposed to :)

Thank you for the help
    RP1

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife and I used to go to the same Chinese restaurant throughout college, where we met. (college, not the restaurant)

The event:
    One evening, after dinner, her fortune cookie had the fortune, "Accept the next offer you receive" and a ring.

The setup:
    I had to put a lot of trust in the owner. But as I said, we'd frequented that restaurant for years and he was a great and friendly guy. That afternoon I gave him the ring with the idea. He took the ring and said, "you don't worry. I take care." And with that, I left.

He steamed a cookie open enough to slip the ring inside, reformed it, and set it aside to dry. Before he did, though, he grabbed the perfect fortune to put inside. There was another problem, though. He had removed it from the wrapper. My wife picks up on things like that. If her cookie came sans wrapper she wouldn't touch it.

But he took care of that as well. As we ate, tables around us finished their meals and received their fortune cookies. That night, everyone around us received fortune cookies in small, individual dishes. After seeing a couple of these, I commented that it was a nice touch instead of having to fiddle with those wrappers. So when ours came in the dishes, it came across as "business as usual."

Everyone who worked at the restaurant was in on it. Even the guy bringing the water would look over at me and smile.

After the proposal, the owner brought out a small chocolate dessert - on the house - and sat with us congratulating us until we finished it. Of course, I paid for the meal; he's a good guy but still a business owner.

So that's my story.

3. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why buy the cow when you seem to be able to get the milk at 7/11

1 person likes this.
  4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Confirmed bachelor here. I'd take the Nancy Reagan approach - Just Say No! :D

2 people like this.
  5. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I heard this one and it was cute, Find someone you don't like and give her 1/2 of what you have and don't get married in the 1st place.....Yes I've been divorced, twice..lol..

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As most of you know, we are a family of rock climbers. Our now son-in-law, Jon, when he proposed to our daughter, did it on a climbing trip to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. My wife and I suspected that he would propose on the trip, since we had given him a family diamond for the ring, and the timing suggested he needed it before the trip. Still, we had no hard information.

The first solid indication was when he sidled up to me while I was belaying a climber. He waited until the climber was out of earshot, and asked for my permission to marry my daughter - hardly a requirement in today's world, but a nice touch, at least from a father's perspective. Then he waited for the right opportunity.

Jon climbed a route that shared anchors with an adjacent route. At the top, he slipped the ring over a carabiner and left it attached to the anchor chains before he descended. Our daughter climbed the adjacent route. When she got close to the top, she recognized Jon's carabiner and wonder why he had left a piece of gear on the route. You could hear her yelling down to him, asking why the beaner was on the chains. He yelled back that she should take a closer look, and when she did, he yelled up "Will you marry me?" She yelled down her affirmative answer. A group of neighboring climbers clapped and cheered. The whole setup was very sweet.

Tom

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As another happy confirmed bachelor: just say no

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't know that you ever said "no", or is that a different issue?

Tom

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had women ask a few times, five if I recall. The answer was the same each and every time: no

10. Snowbell

Snowbell That's the cat! Snow...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How about putting the ring in a nice box first, and then putting it on a string and around your dogs neck? That way your girlfriend gets to open the "gift", and you can also propose. ;)

Despite the critics, congratulations!

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh gawd, this thread is becoming so sickly sweet, I had better fire up the glucometer and check my blood sugar

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Classic approach works best for those of 'us' that like traditional romance.
    Flowers, dress up nice, alert family/friends for photo ops...

Is she anti-establishment? Prefers to keep things private? Then serve her breakfast in bed, with a side of ring box :)

1 person likes this.