1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MASS AIR FLOW CLEANING

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jason petter, Apr 8, 2015.

1. jason petter

jason petter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oil change for 26k at dealer. They recommended me for the “Fuel system service with mass air flow cleaning” for $169.95 “ so what is Fuel system service with mass air flow cleaning. Do I really need it? Because my car is only 26 K miles. Does is hurt my car if i don't do that? thank you

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no you don't need anything they're recommending. It's just a way to empty your wallet.

TsKarma likes this.
  3. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Won't hurt your car, really, if you don't do it. But your car may run a bit smoother and with better gas mileage if you do it.

I would never pay a dealer to do this. Buy a can of MAF spray at the auto parts store and search this forum to find DIY directions on how to take off your air cleaner unit to get to the MAF. Shouldn't take you more than 30 min. Get some Throttle Body spray also and clean the throttle body while you're in there. And buy an air filter and change it, too. This all might cost you $40 and take you less than an hour. A LOT cheaper than $170.

TsKarma likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What you need to do is immediately change dealerships.
    If you feel benevolent you can write the owners and tell them that their Service Manager is a thief, but chances are that the folks in the head-shed are at least tacitly supporting this scummy behavior.

Here's why:
    A Mass air flow sensor is a piece/part that's usually located behind the air filter, and just in front of (if not part of) the throttle body. The ECU (computer) uses it to measure how much air your car is breathing in so that it knows how much fuel to mix with it to get a proper burn in the cylinder.
    Since many things can affect how much (mass) air that you're sucking in, it's important to measure accurately.

OK?

OK.
    SO....there are several types but they usually contain a wire (or wires) that can get dirty and affect the readings.
    This usually manifests itself in reduced fuel economy or throttle response that the driver WILL notice........and unless you're one of those people that replace your dry paper air filter with an oily rag (e.g. K&N air filter) or you don't replace your air filter at all for 50,000 miles or so yours ISN'T dirty!

I'm only guessing but I deeply suspect that:
    1. You didn't notice a decrease in performance or economy.
    2. You're not a devote of K$N filters....and.....
    3. Your car is nowhere NEAR the usual mileage that necessitates doing a clean and inspect on the MAFS....

Your dealer is bent.
    Replace THAT.

Here's the other thing.
    Let's pretend that your MAFS *is* dirty.
    If this is true, then it's a warranty issue since there's no line item in the maintenance schedule that covers this "repair" and if the MAFS really is dirty on a car with 24,000 miles then you have a big problem with your intake system that requires immediate attention.
    Also......
    Cleaning the MAFS costs about $5 and takes about 15 minutes if you've never done it before.
    $169.95?????
    That's criminal.

Good Luck!

#4 ETC(SS), Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Threej, TsKarma and jason petter like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never cleaned mine, or even had it recommended. nothing in the owners manual scheduled maintenance. agree with everyone above, complete and utter rip off. find a new dealer. (although, most are the same) they must attend a ripoff training seminar.

6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just do this service, and change your engine air filter, and you'll be set. I wouldn't worry too much about the MAF sensor since if it's really bad, it'll set off a Check Engine Light.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At 26K you don't need anything other than an oil and oil filter change...maybe a Cabin Filter if you have been hosting parties for Mickey and Minnie Mouse :D-- but that is it.

Do not clean the throttle body. Do not clean the MAF (mass Air Flow sensor). You could, maybe, check the engine air filter and MAYBE, but not likely, need to change that, but as others have said, this dealer is not exactly telling you as it is -- unless you are facing some (very, very, very, unlikely) major engine issue.

Steph1972 likes this.
  8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No way. I would not do it. At 26,000 miles, they want to rip you off.

Steph1972 likes this.
  9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I think that some body in the repair shop wants a higher commission on build-up absurds repairs.

Okinawa likes this.
  10. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Scotty Kilmer showed on utube how a $10 can of MAF cleaner fluid can do the trick and prob. last longer than you and your familes life of the cars ... no need to drop 2 bills on the operation so u can get some fun home theater , free popcorn and coffee at the toyota dealership ...

11. Steph1972

Steph1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This is pictures of my MAF sensor after 100000 miles , don’t think yours could be worse than mine ....another scam

Attached Files:

12. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    that doesnt look too bad .. u must live in a 'clean' environment and garage kept

13. Steph1972

Steph1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No garage , good maintenance with good products...

mikey_t likes this.
  14. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    of course just because it 'looks clean' doesnt mean there isnt a layer we cannot see that impedes some of the function --
    after 100k miles .. (over 5 years) something is not gonna be the same .. the recommendation is to clean it every 6 months ..

15. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's a typical MAF sensor that I see in the shop at 80k +. DSC_3735~2.JPG

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#15 mr_guy_mann, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  16. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  17. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep. sometimes if the deposits are bad I'll soak a pipe cleaner (fuzzy craft stick) and use that to GENTLY scrub the sensing element (they are fragile!).

chronon likes this.