1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Massachuseets Hybrid Legislation

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by SomervillePrius, Jan 12, 2006.

1. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anyone know where the hybrid legislation in MA stands?

Last I heard they where talking about a law that would give many benefits to hybrids including a tac break (something like $2000), free use of HOV lane (with some type of plate/sticker), free transponder (whoo $27!) and no exice tax (!) as well as no exhaust fume test) In another note I saw that they where thinking about adding a sunset provision for the HOV lane.

These are quite substantial bonuses. I agree that they should have a sunset provision for HOV lane usage (say maybe 5-10 years) but these provisions should make people cummuting into town really consider a Prius! Man you could save a lot of time over that bridge/tunnel in the morning.

Do anyone have more updated info? Is there anything we can do to help convince them?

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

The MA legislature publishes online.
    If you go to www.mass.gov/legis, under Current Legislation, there are links for:
    Text of Senate Bills
    Text of House Bills
    Search Bill Histories

You can check Union of Concerned Scientists - Hybrid Center Consumer Center Incentives for current and pending MA incentives.

The senate bills you are interested in are both in committee (senate and house working out differences) where, depending on their calendar for this session, they may die.
    I would advise you to contact your state senator and representative to ask about these bills. B)

Senate, No. 2220
    Bill to promote the development of alternative fuels and the use of alternative fuel vehicles in the Commonwealth.
    09/29/05 S Senate, No. 2211, printed as amended
    09/29/05 S Passed to be engrossed - 38 YEAS to 0 NAYS (see Senate Roll Call, No. 153) -SJs 854-857
    10/03/05 H Read; and referred to the committee on Joint Rules -HJ 702
    10/26/05 H Discharged to the committee on House Rules -HJ 818

Senate, No. 1380
    Presented by: Senator Robert A. O'Leary
    Petition of Robert A. O'Leary, Scott P. Brown and Robert L. Hedlund for legislation to exempt low emission vehicles from maintenance and emissions inspections.
    01/26/05 S Referred to the committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security
    01/26/05 H House concurred
    Public Hearing date Apr 13 pm at 1:00 in Room B-1
    09/20/05 S Bill reported favorably by committee and referred to the committee on Senate Ways and Means -SJ 816

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks,

I have a feeling these legislations will slowly die in commitee....There have been little or no news since september... Too bad.... I was really hoping that MA would start pushing alternative fuel as CA does...... I will contact my representative.