1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Massive hybrid battery discharge in first 2-3 miles.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Not1, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Not1

Not1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello, so here is my deal. I've searched but can't find anything, if you know a thread I should look at please point me to it. My car is an 05 and currently has 219,000 miles. Runs great. Only things I've replaced are the 12 volt battery and the rack and pinion. Replaced the rack because I was trying to drift in the snow and tried to beat the traction control. Needless to say, I lost and hit the curb. Jammed the gear in the left side of the rack. Replaced the rack with a $75 used one and no problems since.
    My issue is this, even if my battery is at 6 bars when I first take off, my hybrid battery drains down to even as low as 1 bar. It only got down to 1 once but is hitting 2 regularly. After about 3-10 miles it is back to the regular charge rate. I also noticed the other day with the window down, there was a slight whirring sound, almost like a gear or wheel that is a gummed up and is being slowed down. It also felt like there was resistance, almost like the brake was dragging. After a few miles, as in less than 5, the noise was gone and the car was going along just fine. I've checked the emergency brake to see if it's dragging by applying it and releasing it several times. Does not appear to be the issue. Today I put it in neutral to see if that changed anything but it did like it always does and just coasted along fine with no resistance. My thought is the transmission. I'm wondering if the fluid it so old and broken down that maybe things are gumming up. Either way, I purchased the tranny fluid and will change that out. I know people will probably gasp but I have never changed it. Actually thought because it's a cvt and there is no dipstick to check it, that it doesn't need changed. After reading up yesterday I discovered I was mistaken.
    I think that's about it. I'll edit it if I think of something more. Once the battery is back up to charge it accelerates and drives like normal. I do want the car to last so my daughter can use it when I buy the new Prius Prime. Hopefully this fall:)
    Thanks for any help!

2. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a negative recalibration, and one of the major warning signs of a degraded hybrid battery. If you recondition the pack now you have a chance of recovering the pack and getting several more years from it, but time is short:
    What causes hybrid batteries to degrade and fail? - Hybrid Automotive

3. Not1

Not1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply. Can you help me understand why it discharges to almost nothing and then starts charging and discharging normally? Any idea, roughly, what my chances of recovery are? Thanks for your help.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In summer with A/C on you can drain HV batt fairly quickly if you just get in the car and drive off. As low as 1-bar sounds like battery getting weak. To baby the battery a little bit, you can try to give the car a warm up of a few minutes. If you turn on ignition, wait until engine comes on a then goes off, takes a few minutes. This charges up a little and helps prevent the deeper discharge which happens during warm-up cycle. Possibly also reduce A/C during this warm-up period, then turn up A/C as we like A/C to cool the batt during normal ops.

Kramah313 likes this.
  5. Not1

Not1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I actually did try that today, let it stay on before I left,after the initial warm up. Still drained super quick. Didn't help I had to get on the highway right away and get up out of a valley. Did get down to one bar but got itself back up to almost fall after a few miles. This just started about a week ago so I'm assuming I need to jump on the reconditioning quick. I hate to drop almost $500 when I can get the whole battery from Napa for about $1200. I like the $500 better but don't want to essentially throw that money at the charger and still have to buy the battery. Looking on the forums it appears most people have good luck with the reconditioning, would that be safe to say? It's worth it?

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know exactly if your HV batt is already semi-dead but be sure 12v is good strong charge and if 12v is new I feel like it takes a couple tanks of gas to recalibrate the system. 12v can be cuprit in some cases and keep in mind 12v only slowly charges up if your are doing short trips.

7. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As hybrid battery cells age the usable capacity decreases and they self discharge faster. The car see's the low sub-pair voltage and tires to re-charge the pack. This is seen on the dash display as dropping to two red bars then force charging back up toward full. By reconditioning the pack, you can recover lost capacity and help slow down the effect of self discharge. Since you are only at the negative recalibration stage and have not yet received a red triangle error, I would say your odds of improvement from using our products are very very good. You are welcome to give us a ring at 800-589-0730 if you'd like to talk it through in person.

8. Not1

Not1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I got it installed a while back and have partially reconditioned the battery. I've only been able to make it to stage 2 due to time but I can already tell the difference. Hopefully soon I can take the battery all the way down and get it finished. Thanks for your help!

jeff652 likes this.