1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MASSIVE RECALL OF PRIUS HYBRIDS!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by littleprius, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littleprius

littleprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Edmunds.com indicated on June 1 that Toyota will launch a voluntary recall with the National High Traffic Safety Administration of about 170,000 Priuses sold in the U.S. The recall affects 2004 through early 2006 models. In a statement, Toyota said a portion of the steering shaft assembly may become loose or develop a crack under certain operating circumstances. The condition does not involve hybrid components. Toyota will notify owners of the involved vehicles by mail beginning in mid-June. Toyota advises that you have your Prius checked out immediately if it falls under the recall. Toyota says replacement will be done at no charge.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow. I don't mean to be rude, but you really ought to get with the program. There are about a half-dozen threads about this topic, most of which are three days old now, one of which is a very informative thread started by Toyota themselves. Do some searchin' before a'postin', please.

... Oh, and IMHO, 170k is not a "massive" recall. Quite a few recalls in recent US history have involved not just thousands, but millions of vehicles. Edmunds.com often spends more time trying to make headlines than actually get the story straight.

3. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Old news, please search before posting!

4. benighted

benighted New Member

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm... i think the mods should merge all the threads

6. joy

joy New Member

Mistakes happen, i'm glad you posted this thread even though someone else already had. I actually have been hearing about the recall through a friend and my mom who saw it on the news but didn't remember what the recall was about. At the time they told me this, I searched this forum and didn't find any info on it over a week ago or so. So here it is, thanks. I thought they were crazy and there was just another rumor floating around about the Prius. I am still waiting to get mine so am thinking I will be in the clear on this one since it will be newer. I know that it is discouraged to repost info, but I probably wouldn't have seen this is if wasn't a newer post, and it's great that Brandon included the link about the Toyota post, that cleared up all of my curiousity about this. That's great that they are paying attention to this forum and hopefully getting some great info on how to make improvements to the future Prius.

7. BobZ

BobZ New Member

I work for a Cadillac/Olds dealer and it seems like we have steering shaft issue every year on all our cars but it does make the headlines

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(littleprius @ Jun 2 2006, 11:51 PM) [snapback]265020[/snapback]</div>

8. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Jun 3 2006, 05:40 AM) [snapback]265091[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, I had someone come up to me, "Hey, I heard they are having a recall on these cars".. Man, some people are just waiting for something to shoot down this car

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When Toyota has a recall its news, because hardly anything ever goes wrong with a Toyota. When a U.S. maker has a recall it's not news because it happens just about every day.

"Tiger eats man in Fargo" is news.

"Man eats hotdog in NY" is not news.

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.