1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master light+vsc+yellow ((!))+intermittent check engine light+"Stalling" symptoms

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alison, Jul 31, 2011.

1. alison

alison New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2005 Prius with almost 219000 (!) on it. It runs great, but about three months ago the check engine light started coming on and turning off by itself. I had a scan done on it and they mentioned possibly a bad O2 sensor. Friday, I was on the highway and the master light (big red triangle with ! in it), the VSC, and the yellow ((!)) brake light came on. I pulled over, shut the car off and turned it back on. The master light and check engine light was still on. The VSC and yellow ((!)) light came back on a few miles down the road. I pulled off the highway and took it to a mechanic who scanned it again and said that there were several codes that came up including a large exhaust leak.The car was running fien and I had to go to work on Saturday overnight, so I drove the car. Other than the lights, nothing seemed wrong. However, the lights would turn on and off intermittently and I was getting horrible mpg (8-12 mpg on local roads). On the way home, the car seemed to stall (clearly not a manual though). The power steering cut out and a message syaing something like transmission parking brake malfunction ( I couldn't read it all because it went away). I was only about .1 miles from home, so I shut the car off and turned it back on. Not another 50 feet and the car "stalled" again. This time, I couldn't get it to turn off or anything. I left it running and unlocked (though I took the key with me) and waled home to use a phone. I called AAA and went back to the car. I put the key fob in the keyhole and tried shutting the car off again. This time, it shut off so I turned it back on and slowly drove it home. Any thoughts?

2. alison

alison New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    could this be a restricted cat converter due to a bad o2 sensor?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We've previously commented on most of your car's symptoms here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ermittent-check-engine-light.html#post1365266

Please do not open a new thread for the same topic.

It appears that your car has a weak 12V battery, along with its other issues. I'd suggest that you first replace the battery and then see what other issues remain. It is likely that the exhaust system has one or more problems, at minimum.

If the catalytic converter is plugged up, this would not be due to a bad air/fuel ratio sensor.

1 person likes this.
  4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Most recent episode is classic case of inverter pump failure followed by classic case of 12V battery failure related to inverter pump failure.

PriusCamper and dave77 like this.