1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master warning and CEL after leaving dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by srproductions, May 20, 2011.

1. srproductions

srproductions Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I took my car in today to get an oil change and they advised that I needed to do the inverter recall as well. I picked up my car and drove all of 1/8 of a mile before the Check Engine Light came on. The car would only run on battery power. I pulled over and the battery level was very low and the gas motor was not kicking on to charge it. When I put the car in Park the master warning came on. I restarted the car again and in park the ICE showed it was charging the battery but the CEL was still on. I drove it back to the dealer on just battery and I am waiting to see what the problem is.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No thoughts other than to ask for/demand the DTCs.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Probably an oil over-fill, or other malfeasance whilst checking for a dirty air filter. It could be a problem with the inverter pump recall work, but that usually takes several miles of running to trigger a code.

4. srproductions

srproductions Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They said the car is good to go know. They are saying the cause of the issue was excessive carbon build up in the throttle body. Not sure if I quite believe that.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you update your profile so we know what kind of Prius you own.

The Classic Prius was very susceptible to engine no-start due to excessive black gunk in the throttle body interior. 2G is less so, but if your car has a high odometer reading then it is possible that the throttle body needed to be cleaned.