1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Warning Light, Acceleration issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by heisman, Apr 24, 2011.

1. heisman

heisman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 Prius 150,000+ miles. Tonight the Master warning light, brake system warning light, and Check engine light all illuminated on dash as well as the Hybrid System warning on the console. The car is idling at almost 40 miles per hour but does not allow any acceleration from the pedal. The engine will rev as if it wants to but no power. Help?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This sounds very bad. You'll need to tow the car to your local Toyota dealer for the DTC to be read and a diagnosis provided to you.

My guess is that either the hybrid vehicle ECU or the transaxle has failed.

1 person likes this.
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anecdotes suggest O'Brien Toyota in Indianapolis is a good dealer. On the other hand, autobeyours.com in Scottsburg would likely be your best option if it is a problem with the hybrid battery. They certainly have salvage transaxles too, but I don't know if they would do the removal and installation. It is mostly likely a problem with the battery or the transaxle. Have you ever changed the transaxle fluid?

1 person likes this.
  4. heisman

heisman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Towed to dealer. Left the list of codes he gave me on the office desk. He said it came back with 9 different codes. All pointed to the Hybrid battery pack. Said 4 cells were dead. Quoted price of $3,358 to install new. Didn't know what Toyota's warranty on the replacement would be he's to get back to me in the morning. Would that be the only cause to all the problems I indicated? What about the price? Suggestions? Anyone have knowledge of Toyota warranty on the replacement battery?

5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It will be covered by Toyota warranty? Hal

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota parts warranty is for a one-year duration. The price is high but not outrageous...

We will need the list of the 9 DTC to comment on your other questions.

1 person likes this.
  7. heisman

heisman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How long is my question Hal. I would assume they have some warranty but at that cost for replacement I'd like to know I'm covered for another 100,000. Do you have any specifics?

8. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  9. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Warranty for new battery is for one year only, but might be unlimited miles. Can you drive 100,000 miles in a year?

AutoBeYours advertises salvage batteries for $595. True, installation probably costs extra, but to me, that sounds better than $3358 for a one year warranted new one.

10. heisman

heisman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Attached is the diagnostic information provided by my dealer. I've talked with autobeyours and am definitely leaning in that direction. They really seemed to know what was going on without even seeing the vehicle. Let me know if these mean anything to you or anyone else.

Attached Files:

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, your HV battery is bad. It has two bad blocks, which is interesting. Blocks 13 and 14 are the four modules farthest from the ECU. It could be either corrosion on the terminals, or one or more bad modules. Fixing yourself requires being comfortable with pulling the battery out of the car, taking the case apart, and troubleshooting batteries and wiring. I'm pretty sure that the camshaft position code is battery related, as is the P0A80 code.

I don't know what tests, if any, that AutoBeYours would do to the replacement, but they are highly respected in this community and I just can't imagine them not taking care of you.

1 person likes this.
  12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that your car needs a new traction battery.

1 person likes this.