1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Warning Light and Breaking System Light with P0A08

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aaron331, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Aaron331

Aaron331 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my 2006 prius has the Master warning light(red) and the braking system light (Yellow) on while I am driving, and I went to the dealer.

The technician told me that he could not verify any warning lights ON at that moment, and he performed health and diagnostic checks on it. He inspected connection at auxiliary battery and junction box 1. All checked OK at this time. No repairs recommended at this time.

However, the master warning light came on when I pick up the vehicle. The dealer told me that they will inspect it again tomorrow. And they found that there a P0A08 error code. They suggested me to replace the hybrid converter/inverter.. $4733 for NEW and $1672 for used...(DC) I dont know why the problem is seems not related to the lights....
    My car can still drive while the lights ON.

I'm wondering what is the effect if the hybrid converter is bad/broken. Or what might cause the hybrid convertor code appear. Battery problem? Is it Ok to drive the car without that convertor or bad/broken convertor? Any Suggestion?

#1 Aaron331, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First check to see if the inverter pump is running by looking in thee inverter coolant reservoir while the car is in ready mode. There should be turbulence from coolant flow. If it is still the pump is bad.

Inverters are not known for failing typically unless the car is driver w/o coolant flow or reverse polarity jump starting. If you need to replace inverter a used one can be found for around $100 here

Search Results

Installation at an independent shop should be no more than $300 + new coolant.

Aaron331 likes this.
  3. Aaron331

Aaron331 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for your information.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

5. Aaron331

Aaron331 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Around 201000 miles already

#5 Aaron331, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  6. Aaron331

Aaron331 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And I changed the aux battery and fuseable link about 6 months ago.

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A blown fusible link would say that the 12V battery was jumped with reverse polarity. As pointed out, that is about the only thing that can take down the inverter, although there is not usually a time delay of 6 months. Please call the service department and get the list of codes that were read from your car, and list them here.

Aaron331 likes this.
  8. Aaron331

Aaron331 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On 3/11/15, the dealer only states that they found code POA08 with info code 264 checked. They states that the vehicle needs a new inverter parts.

I have some previous code:
    P0420, which is the Catalyst efficiency below threshold( I didn't fix this since I think this problem just make me not pass the smog test only, and my car wont need to do smog check until 2016)
    It is wired that they did not found this code when they inspect my Prius today. (3/11/15)

What is the worst case if I leave do not replace the inverter, and I keep driving?
    Is it easy to replaced the inverter by DIY?

#8 Aaron331, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are the possible problem areas that are caused by that code:
    - Auxiliary (12V) battery
    - Fusible link block assembly
    - HV control ECU
    - Fuse (for 12 V electrical equipment)
    - Engine room relay block
    - Inverter cooling hose
    - Water pump with motor assembly
    - Cooling fan motor
    - No.2 cooling fan motor
    - Wire harness or connector
    - Inverter with converter assembly (DC /DC converter)

You will note that replacing the inverter is the last item on the list. We have seen enough cases of dealerships swapping parts on suspicion only, and then finding that the problem was elsewhere. However, you still get charged for their error. I would want to make sure of all else before changing the inverter.The above tend to point to overheating of the 12V charging section (Converter) due to improper cooling system function, or failure of the 12V battery (shorted cell).
    Since we don't know what the fundamental cause of the error is, there is no way to say what the result of driving will be. You will not get regenerative braking as it now stands, which is not a good situation. You may completely drain the HV battery.

It can be DIY, and there are instructions on this site and other places. You will need to get the relevant service manual sections from the Toyota website. (subscription). You will also need to get a mini VCI code reader to make sure the work has been done properly.

Aaron331 likes this.
  10. Aaron331

Aaron331 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the information, and I will try to check all those before I change the inverter.

11. maverick1970

maverick1970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Aaron.

What did you end up doing? I am experiencing a similar issue. Thanks!

12. Aaron331

Aaron331 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I end up with doing nothing. When I arrived to Toyota and picked up my car, I talk to one of the technician. He told me my car does not have any breaking issues. It is the converter problem, and it cost 6000 for a new and 2000 for a used one. After I picked up my car, the master warning light is still on but not the breaking light. I considered to replace an used converter at other car repair shop. However, all the lights off on the next day. The lights off continue for like couple weeks.. So I just leave it. And Now, the master warning light is on, but I just drive it with the light on since my car is already have a very high mi.

13. Aaron331

Aaron331 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As nh7o mentioned, there are many cases to cause this code appears... it might not be the converter issue.

#13 Aaron331, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the update, all the best.(y)

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you make the Prius READY, then measure the voltage across the 12V battery using a digital multimeter. The voltage reading should be ~13.8V. If it is much lower, then the 12V battery will not be properly charged by the DC/DC converter which has failed. That is the significance of DTC P0A08.

The worst case is that the 12V battery will be depleted and your car will stall along the side of the road. You will not be able to resume driving until you put a new 12V battery in. Then that battery will also be depleted after a short period because it is not being charged.

I would not say it is "easy" to replace the inverter, but it is certainly possible if you can follow instructions, have prior automobile repair experience and a reasonable set of metric tools. Obtain repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com

16. Aaron331

Aaron331 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the information. Last time I checked the 12 V battery is about a month ago, which after I picked up the car from toyota. On the multi-screen display, it reads ~13.9V. Does it mean that it is not a converter problem?

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can trust the voltage reading from the MFD, you would be correct that the DC/DC converter is OK. I suggest you verify that reading by using a decent digital multimeter, measuring across the 12V battery when the Prius is READY.

How about the traction battery state of charge as reported by the MFD? What are the state of charge readings? Are they moving up and down?

I also suggest that you obtain Mini VCI so that you can be self-sufficient with regards to reading the DTC logged by your car.

18. maverick1970

maverick1970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Patrick.

How would I check the traction battery state of charge as reported by the MFD?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look at how many bars appear on the traction battery state of charge gauge. Normally there will be 5 or 6 blue bars. The gauge may drop down to 1 or 2 pink bars when air conditioning is used in the summer and the car is stopped, and may rise up to 7 or 8 green bars when you are descending mountainous terrain at speed.

If you see wild swings in the gauge over a short period of time, that is a leading indicator that the traction battery is about to have a problem.

maverick1970 likes this.