1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master warning light and VSC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alice the cat, May 16, 2010.

1. alice the cat

alice the cat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today we had the oil changed and everything was good, drove to the hardware store and when we came back I put a heavy box of tile in the truck (I set it down hard, it was heavy). We then strated it up and backed out and noticed the master warning light along with the vsc light and check engine light. I stopped it and checked the oil and all was fine. Started it back up and lights still on. I drove it across the street back to the oil change place and when we got into the parking lot there was no gas pedal. Pushing it all the way to the floor and it barely made it into a parking place and the battery on the mfd showed 1 bar. When we restarted after a few minutes and when the engine came on it made a clunking noise. The guy from the oil change place came and cleared the codes. I didnt write them down like an idiot. After the codes were cleared it started fine with no noise and ran around the parking lot fine and has run perfect since (8 miles). I forgot that we put gas in as well in between the oil change and hardware store. The gas cap seemed fine. Is it possible the slamming of the box of tile caused a fuel pump inertia switch to cause all this? Could a loose gas cap cause this? It has been perfect since we bought it new with zero problems till today. Thanks in advance for any help. I searched on here and didnt find symtoms like mine.
    Alice

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Too bad you didn't get the codes. Now it is only guess work. If your car continues to work OK for a few drive cycles, then you are probably OK. Without seeing the codes, it could be a number of things. I am suspicious though of a loose battery cable on the 12 v battery, it is in the trunk, on the right side, so dropping the tiles may have caused it.

3. alice the cat

alice the cat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thank you very much. I didnt know where the 12v battery was. I'll check that first.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alice asked about a fuel pump inertia switch. I am not aware that such a switch exists, certainly not at the rear of the car.

Instead, a circuit breaker is mounted to the side of the inverter and is connected to the hybrid vehicle ECU. When the breaker receives a jolt from an accident, it is supposed to signal the HV ECU to shut the powertrain down.