1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Warning Light!! Please Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kermitt, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Kermitt

Kermitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vehicle: Prii 2.009
    Mileage: 51,000
    Maintenance records: Every 5k miles in dealership
    Last Oil Change: 1k miles ago

Issue: just started the car and suddenly the master warning light just popped on the dashboard once I shift the car to D; no other lights lid on. Once in D, the following message appears on the screen: " CAUTION Shift to the P position when parked. The batteries will not charge if the shift position is in Neutral (N). (please see pics attached) View attachment 53053 View attachment 53054
    So as you can see on the pics, I have the car shifted into D and the triangle still shows! If I go to B, warning keeps showing; however, when I go R, the triangle disappears but I am not sure if it is because the camera activates. I checked the battery charge and it is half way; now, the car moves forward and bkacwards.
    View attachment 53055
    However, I just noticed when I try to accelerate the car, the ICE does not kicks in! it keeps using only the HV battery.

I ran my TORQUE for error codes but absolutely nothing shows on the log so any ideas? Thank you so much beforehand for your help, I am always so grateful for counting with all your help for free!!!

P.

2. Kermitt

Kermitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Kermitt

Kermitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the 12V battery.

5. Riaz

Riaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like the computers are confused (the MFD is reporting that you are in Neutral while the shift position indicator is saying drive). I would try resetting them following this procedure:

Power off the car and remove the key FOB

Disconnect the negative lead from the 12v aux battery and wait at least 2 mins

Reconnect the negative lead and make sure it's tightened properly

Start the car as you normally do to see if you have the same issue (note that you may have to press the power button an extra time with the brake depressed to get into ready - at least that's the case with my car whenever I disconnect the 12v battery)

You can also check your engine oil level...I read in another thread that very low oil level can trigger the dreaded red triangle. Good luck.

Hi Patrick,

I joined PC recently and am an avid reader of your posts which I find very informative. I agree that a bad 12v battery is likely the cause of the malfunction since it "boots" the computers at startup, but if he is able to get the car into "ready" mode, and drive forward and backward, shouldn't the engine start as per normal?

I ask because I've never had this problem with my JDM 06 Prius even when the battery was so weak that it would not hold up overnight with the security alarm on...as long as it got into ready mode it seemed to drive normally regardless of the state of the 12v battery...maybe the behavior is different between US and JDM models...no clue...appreciate any inputs you may have...thanks.

6. Kermitt

Kermitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

I am glad to report that after some research on the forum, I found the answer to the question: Before I explained how my "DUH" moment came across, I want to thank all of you who take time from your busy day to add your $0.02; Patrick, this is the first time you EVER missed one!:) :) The problem was I had the DOOR OPEN when I turned the car in D; I did not know the master warning light pops up when you try to move the car with the driver door open and that's what trigger the light! I was not sure why it was asking me to put the car in P assuming the car was in N while in reality what it was telling me is "close the door you dumb! I am not supposed to run with the door open!!" o_O This is the first time I had such an issue in a car but I guess this is not a "Regular" car. So, if you try to move your car with the door open, the car will let you know how dumb you are but in it own word.

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject but I guess I was not the only one who did something stupid like that since I found the answer! :)

Best regards for all.

P.