1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Warning Light truble.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ma Xiong, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Ma Xiong

Ma Xiong New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Toyota Prius with 95k that I would like to drive to work everyday. Only problem is that after the car warms up(2-3 minutes of driving), whenever I gas the car to go the Master Warning Light comes on, and as long as I'm gassing it stays on followed up by a picture of the oil lamp comes up. Now if you stop accelerating than it goes off and comes right back on when you start accelerating. I'm new to these Prius and would appreciate it if I could get some advice. I checked the engine oil level and it is almost full. I took the car to the shop and all they said was that the transmission was overfilled.(but they did not drain the fluid to bring the transmission oil down.) Is it possible that the oil picture on the top left of the Navi display is caused from overfilled transmission fluid? please help me.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would think there would be some stored error codes.

Any chance they gave you can get a diagnostic printout that identifies any codes that occurred?

3. Ma Xiong

Ma Xiong New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they said that there was no codes at all. it was a full diagnostic. as I said it only comes on when the car is warmed up and only when you accelerate.

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check engine oil level. It must be very low.

5. Ma Xiong

Ma Xiong New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did and its full. Do you think it can be the cause of overfilling the transmission fluid?

6. Ma Xiong

Ma Xiong New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked the manual and the light is called Low Engine Oil Pressure. but I checked the oil and its still full. I think im going to try to drain the oil and then add more in. and see if that helps.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It could be a bad oil sensor, if the oil is full.

8. Ma Xiong

Ma Xiong New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    but if it was the oil sensor than wouldn't it pop up all the time instead of only when I accelerate?

usnavystgc likes this.
  9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably whoever did the diagnostic doesn't have a code reader that is Prius aware. If red triangle is lit, codes are definitely stored.

Sounds like you either have low oil pressure caused by a pump malfunction, bad sending unit, or possibly a ECU acting up.

Find someone who has a code reader that is for a Prius and I would bet you will find a stored code. Is there a Toyota dealer you can go to?

10. Ma Xiong

Ma Xiong New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they had fixed prius's in the past and when the car just sits, there is no light that comes on. it only comes on if you are accelerating while driving.

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Find someone who has a code reader that is for a Prius and I would bet you will find a stored code. OR take it to a Toyota dealer.

12. Ma Xiong

Ma Xiong New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    do you think it can be the cause of oil sensor? or oil pump?

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It could be any number of things. Again, get someone who has a code reader that will work on a Prius.

That is why I said take it to Toyota.

Once you have the codes read, you will have an idea of what is actually wrong. It is obvious the person who is working on the car doesn't have a scanner that reads Prius codes, otherwise there would be a code showing. A red triangle (master alarm) ALWAYS produces at least one or more codes.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Do not continue to drive the Prius with the engine oil warning light on, as that will cause damage to the engine.

2. I doubt that any DTC would be logged due to low oil pressure. If any DTC were logged, the check engine light would be on. The presence of the master warning red triangle by itself does not necessarily require any DTC to be logged. For example, you can get the triangle to appear by opening the driver's door while the gear selector is in D. No DTC would be logged in that instance.

3. An overfilled transaxle ATF has nothing to do with the engine oil, but that should be addressed by removing the transaxle ATF fill plug and letting any excess come out, while the Prius is raised up in a level position. Then replace the fill plug. If the transaxle ATF is severely overfilled, that will cause damage to the axle seals at minimum.

4. Regarding the engine oil warning light, ask your shop to install an oil pressure gauge so that the engine oil pressure can be measured. This is done by removing the engine oil pressure switch located near the engine oil filter.

When the engine is warmed up, the oil pressure at idle should be at least 4.2 psi; while at 2,500 RPM, it should be at least 22 psi. Use the inspection mode to get the engine to run continuously.

5. How many miles ago was the engine oil was changed? What viscosity was used? What does the oil look like on the dipstick?

If you have any doubt about the quality of the engine oil, the oil and oil filter should be replaced now. Use a quality 5W-30 oil and a Toyota-branded filter. Check the oil pressure again with the new oil and oil filter installed.

6. I ask the OP to take a sharp photo of the "oil lamp", and post it.

koolingit likes this.
  15. Ma Xiong

Ma Xiong New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is a picture that I outted together since I cant take one while im driving. but this is what it would look like after the master warning light comes on when accelerate while driving. But it would go away if I stop accelerating the car.
    [​IMG]

Patrick Wong likes this.
  16. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its very odd that it only happens while accelerating. Its probably able to meet the min oil pressure at idle but not above that. The best thing to do is like Patrick said and hook up a pressure gage to the engine to monitor oil pressure at various rpm's.

Just so you know, it is very hard to overfill the transaxle since the fill hole is at the level of fill. Presumably, any extra fluid poured in would drain out the fill hole. Additionally, you wouldn't get the low oil level light.

17. Ma Xiong

Ma Xiong New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I mean I just did another oil change yesterday. along with filter. and I made sure the oil was 3/4 full( F..l...........L). I hope its not the oil sensor or pump going bad. could it be?

18. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    it is possible. Is it still doing it?

19. Ma Xiong

Ma Xiong New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes it is still doing it, so im clueless atm.

20. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, the only real way to move forward is to hook an oil pressure gage up as Patrick stated and monitor pressure over various rpms. If you have good pressure, it is the sensor, if you don't have good pressure, its likely the pump.