1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Master Warning Light When Turning Left

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by butchbs1985, Nov 9, 2008.

1. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've searched around and can't find anyone experiencing these symptoms:

Thursday, I was turning onto I-90/94 from Congress (left hand cloverleaf) and I heard a beep, and saw the Master Warning (triangle containing !) flashed for less than a second. I read the forums and thought that it may have been a loose door and figured 'no big deal if it only happens once'.

Today again on an off-ramp turning left, I hear 'beep', see the warning flash again for less than a second. I know that the MFD displays information about the error but it flashes so fast that I don't have any time to read the MFD description. Recalling the 'open door' issue, I then pushed hard on the drivers door to see if I leaned on it and that is causing the issue. No warning light if I try to duplicate it. For the rest of our drive, I tried to turn left as sharply as possible attempting to make it happen again. Again I received no warning.

I have checked for DTC's and there are none stored in the computer. The door switch appears to be working properly as well. My questions:

1. Is there any way to obtain a log of warnings posted by the MFD?
    2. Is there any way to obtain a log of events causing a 'master warning'?
    3. Are there any TSB's / computer updates regarding this issue?

Since this has happened twice now (now that I think about it, it happened about the same time of day), if I connect my laptop to the ODB-2 port and record the real time data, does a DTC always get posted when the 'master warning' happens?

I have the extended warranty until 100K but I don't think that the warranty covers investigative time. I hate to pay the dealer to tell me 'couldn't find anything wrong'. Thanks for all of your assistance!:confused:

2. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got that before and it turned out to be a loose/damaged connector for the coolant heat storage tank (temp sensor I think). It's really close to the driver fender well plastic guards. But it could be a lot of things. I'm not sure if you get a DTC if the check engine light doesn't come on, but you can try.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    any pending or history codes of significance? (there are several soft codes that are diagnostically irrelevant that can be present)

there's really no other way to find out reliably except giving your car to somebody with the proper equipment to read the codes...

if there aren't any, it's going to be rough going trying to get it fixed. warranty won't cover what they can't find.