1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

master's or phd for galaxee?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Nov 2, 2005.

?
  1. master's. get done already, get out of here and make some real money.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. phd. you may be really unhappy but what's another 3 years?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so i'm approaching prelims and starting to think i will go completely insane if i stay here another 3 years.

provided 3 more years is enough to get me out of graduate school.

a master's degree in pharmacology will get me a pretty decent job near home (near friends and family, one in particular who needs a good friend right now and it just kills me that i can't go be with her) and i can make a decent income. it would pay for living expenses, car loan, and student loans and we would be quite comfortable. heck, it's more than double my current stipend income. the bad side? i couldn't go back for a phd in the same discipline later in life. it is a terminal master's.

however, i could stick it out and hate life for the next 3 years, continue to either lose or break off my hair out of stress, sleep poorly and be generally miserable and get the phd. then i could start out making more money and be in a better position in an industrial setting, which would be a very good place to be in the long run. the bad side is that by getting the phd i would be overqualified for so many jobs it's not even funny. there are a number of recent graduates who have not found a job since leaving here in december. i really don't want to stay in academia and do a postdoc, after being treated this way in graduate school.

i have approximately six months to decide where i'm going in life. i have talked to a few people who tell me they regret not leaving with a master's. i know of at least a few others who are considering dropping out with a master's because they are as frustrated as i am.

ideas? input from biological/pharmaceutical scientists in industry would be especially helpful.

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Follow your heart. B)

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    G:

As you may know, I currently have a B.Sc. in Computer Science and a B.Sc. in Economics (Production and Operations Management). I'm also a bit less than 2 years into a B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering, which the company I contract for is paying for.

Eventually I would like to get Master's and who knows, maybe Ph.D. as well. That is a long way off and I'm in no rush.

If you intend to have a decent job in an "applied" field I would have to lean towards the Masters. If you would like to pursue much more into the Research field, certainly if you want to enter Academia, the Ph.D. will be better.

I've Been There and Done That trying to make up my mind too. All I can suggest is that the doubts you are currently having are par for the course. I can also tell you that it WILL pay off, just try to find more inner resolve and maybe take a break once in awhile to recharge the inner batteries.

It really helps if you have a supportive Significant Other or a good circle of friends/peers.

j

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Galaxee,

Do what is best for you. My brother did the BA, MA, Phd thing and is now a professor. He has NEVER been outside academia.

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

FWIW, I have a very good friend who was, essentially, in precisely the same predicament you're in.

Just my observation, but if your perspective going into the PhD aspect is such, then it likely isn't a good idea. I also find it odd you place an emphasis on compensation. That, coupled with your perspective going into the realm of PhD tells me what you seem to already know...

Just being honest and straightforward given what I've read, and your request for opinions. ;)

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I m not in ur field, but hope my input will help. In the EE field, PhD is usually for people who wanted to do research and stay in a college/university. If you want to work in the industry, Master's is good enough.

One of my friends asked me if it's better to get a master's first or look for a job first. I can't really tell him, because there's no right or worng answer to that. Usually what students do is find a job if possible. Go to grad school if you can't find a job or too lazy to find a job. I choose to work becoz I was able to find a job, and my company will pay for my master's if I choose to get it later on.

Since you are married, extra income is always good. But if you like to learn more about your field, go with PhD. From your post, sounds like you won't enjoy being there for 3 more years. SO go earn some big bucks with ur master's degree!

7. galaxies1973

galaxies1973 New Member

You sound like you don't really want to do the Ph.D. I'm not in your field (physics & astro Ph.D.) but trust me, even if you really want it at the beginning, there will be lots of times midway when you'll wonder if you want it badly enough to finish. If you're not too enthusiastic to start with, it will just be worse.

Plus, going back for a Ph.D. later is hard, but not impossible, so if you later find that you really do want one, you're not closing that door forever.

Good luck either way! (and cool handle, heh.)

Michelle

8. Drifter

Drifter Member

This is a question only you can answer. I can only try to point out positives and negatives of each. I have B.S. degrees in biochemistry and microbiology. While I could possibly see myself getting a masters degree at some point (unlikely though) I am sure I would not personally be happy with a PhD (even though my undergraduate research prof spent 3 years trying to talk me into one). I currently do alzheimers research at a small company in industry. I don't miss academia at all.

Masters degree
    Pros: Less stress, Start making "real" money sooner, more job opportunities means more choice of where to work and less chance of finding yourself unemployed.
    Cons: Lower final salary, less prestige, some PhDs will always consider you no more than a dishwasher (even though those are often the ones you wonder how they made it out of high school, much less grad school), some jobs will just expect you to be a base tech and do the same experiment over and over (you can avoid these jobs though, and should)

PhD
    Pros: More money, more respect, depending on the job more say in planning your experiments
    Cons: More stress, Less jobs available (I have known people to leave the PhD off their resume in a tough market), More paperwork and less actual benchwork in many jobs, Three more years of your life spent in school

Note: There are some jobs out there where you will be judged on your ability, not just the degrees you have.

9. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I understand where you are coming from - and like everyone else, I can really only say that you've got to decide for you.

Will you be happy with the kind of job you will get with a masters? i'd hate for you to leave the backbreaking work of school to find some new misery. i've got a friend starting just the second year of his masters, and he is completely miserable. i don't want that for anyone.

i should say that if you actually get your phd, i doubt you'll ever look back and honestly regret going ahead and getting it. i've always tried to approach education issues with the idea that I don't want to close any doors - i'm not sure a terminal masters program suits someone who genuinely loves the subject. are these really your only options?

10. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    it's pretty clear what you want to do, so I'd better jump in to try to talk you out of it.

1. "decent" job - not something to look forward to. you've got the rest of your life to work.

2. never met anyone who regretted the schooling they took; have met many who regretted the schooling they didn't.

3. note that the derogatory reference "phd-baiter" does not exist.

so quitcherbellyachin, support your friend by phone, and get back to it!

rpm

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it really says something though, when the very thought of leaving this [censored] place makes me happy.

i think being treated like [uh, dirt] by the department, along with being pretty unhappy in my current lab situation, along with the job prospects and the possibility that a phd will get me nowhere in industry is leading to me taking the m.sc. in the spring and getting on with my life.

the thing is, this place is draining the lifeblood out of my love of science. that's the exact opposite of the desired effect.

thanks all for your input. i'm going to have to give this a hard look and re-order my priorities. (i kinda like having hair, for one minor thing...)

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Therein lies your answer.

13. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You've already gotten a lot of good replies, but I will throw in my two cents anyway. It sounds like from your orignal post that there aren't that many benefits to staying for the PhD, and there are more benefits for stopping at the Master's.

I try to emphasize to undergrad students that are looking at graduate school that they should look at the degree that gets them the kind of job they want. It sounds like you can still get a job that you are satisfied with and can survive with just a Master's. It is a tough decision to try and make, especially if you aren't able to go back at a later date to get the PhD. With this being the case, I would definitely think long and hard about what industry you want to be in in 10 or 15 years and which degree will get you there.

I can certainly empthasize with your struggle, PhD programs can be hell. I have had several of my cohort stop at the Master's and I have considered the same myself (my area is not the same as yours though). It sounds like the next 3 years will be tough, but I would hate for you to stop now if it will stop you short in your future goals. Just something to think about is that it is possible that you will work in your area for about 30 years, which may overshadow the next 3 years, however unpleasant they may be to you.

It is going to take some thinking and priority outlining.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Galaxee, I don't know you or your situation well enough to offer any useful advice, but I'll try anyway. The one tidbit I can offer from my own experience is to get all the education you think you'll need while you can. Once you have kids and a mortgage and a car loan and a line of credit, you may find it very difficult to take "time off" for school. I'd love to go back to university for another degree (heck, I could spend a year making up for all the parties I missed while studying), but I just can't. Good luck with your decision and your future.

15. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Could you get another mentor for your PhD program? Sounds like you feel abused in your current setting.

I used to advise students who were selecting their grad school, to pick the person whose lab they wanted to study in, contact them, then apply to that university.

Getting through a grad program is hard enough without dealing with stogey mentors and unprofessional support staff.

That said, having a PhD after your name will allow you more options to chose from later in life.

Those I've met with a Masters, if they left because they couldn't hack the work (intrinsically, they were unsuited for a PhD program to begin with), were fairly happpy with their decision. Those who left because they couldn't juggle family obligations, felt pressured to start making money NOW, or just got tired of being sick and tired, sometimes expressed regrets that they didn't have their BOSS's job. They knew they had the smarts, background, and were (ahem) "better" people but just couldn't manage to wade through the program.

If you think you might find yourself in those shoes (working for someone whose job YOU should have), then stay the course. If you believe you'll never look at your Masters with any regrets, then take the paper and run.

16. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I say stay in school. I'd like to go back myself because the real world sucks!
    :)

17. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It sounds like you're in danger of burning out if you try to complete the PhD program now.

How about this: take the master's, get a job for a couple years, and then re-evaluate your situation. If you're happy at that point, then great. If not, apply to a PhD program somewhere else. Entering a new PhD program might take more time than sticking this one out, but it will seem like less work if you're not burned out.

18. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Are you in any position where you can take a semester off with no harm to your program? (Worst-case scenario to prove point: if you got very sick and HAD to take a semester off, would there be a big price?)

Is your friend's need of a nature where it might abate in some period of time you can visualize?

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Of course, let's think outside the box here a bit... I have a lot to say about just how retarded the educational system is in this country. Is, perhaps, getting your PhD in another country, whereas science actually takes precedence over internal politics, an option? Might even be a great way to add a new "life experience".

20. baxsie

baxsie Member

Go for it while you can. Once you get out it is hard to go back. I have always kicked myself for not staying for a graduate degree after my BS. Now with jobs, a business & family, there is no way to go back.