1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Matrix Headlight

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by MORTEN LUND, Sep 1, 2023.

1. MORTEN LUND

MORTEN LUND New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone.

I have a prius plugin hybrid 2018 in Denmark, it is very much like the Prime in US.
    It is delivered with a matrix headlight - which when working prober does wonders. But my problem is this:

When using the auto function and setting the selector to highbeam, which is what one needs to do for it to work, it is too slow to dim down. I get angry blinking from the oncoming traffic every time. If I take it nonchalantly, the car will eventually dim down and do its magic. But in the longrun it gets on my nervs. So manually dimming down it the result.

The problem with that is that the downlight is so dimmed and short range that on freeways it constantly overdriving my light. Fortunately I have not hit any tire parts or what else can be on the highway.

Is it possible to adjust the downlight which is ok for me just using manual control?

Is it possible to adjust the sensitivity of the matrix auto function so i dimmes down faster?

By the way, great car with great milages!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't worked on this system yet, but it sounds like it's designed badly enough that they probably fixed it in newer model years and finding out how they did that might give you a better sense of how to fix yours? Also if you can research after-market solutions for this level of Toyota stupid and find something, please let us know. I'm sure you're not the only one that doesn't want to make oncoming traffic blinded by your highbeams... Most people probably don't remember, but when I was a kid alot of cars had a footswitch to go from highbeams to low beams. Was a super efficient way to keep both hands firmly gripped on the wheel.

3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a U.S. PRIME and do not experience these issues. Perhaps the dealer can check the headlight alignment and adjust if required? Not sure how adjustable the auto dim function is.

4. MORTEN LUND

MORTEN LUND New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for suggestion. I have spoken with the dealer about it, shortly after I got it. Maybe now some years later they have new info. I will try again. Also I have a backup idea about mounting additional led headlight, drilled into the lower front and manually controlled with a switch, just some low watt for the downlight to reach a litttle further. But it can be tricky to adjust for cargo angle etc.

I have found that when manually dimming for some seconds until the oncomming traffic is close enough, it is actually possible to return to auto mode again and the headlight have recognised the new situation. But in situations where it has not, the blinding of the others is significant and usually do not have the nerve to try.

5. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which worked until it rusted in place.

My dad's 1973 Newport Custom had two foot switches. One was for the headlights and the other was to change the radio stations. It had two push level. First one would seek to strong signal only and the further push would seek even to weak signal stations. It was cool to see the needle move by itself and reset to the beginning like an old typewriter lol.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Morten, does your Prius have the four lights horizontally in the headlight assembly? We're not familiar with the matrix term. In Denmark are "city lights" used? These are very small lights that do not put out much light, but they're useful when the streets are well lighted. We don't have those in the U.S.

In any case the headlights can be adjusted. The beam location can be raised. Your owner's manual should have the instructions. Raise the hood. Look near the rubber cushion at the front corner of the car where the front left & right corner of the hood lands. You'll see U D and arrows showing clockwise to raise the beam and anti-clockwise to lower it and a slanted guide for a screwdriver. You'll need a #2 Phillips or Pozi-drive screwdriver. Park with your lights on close to a blank wall, garage door or something similar that shows your beam. Count the turns of the screwdriver and note the direction so you can always return to where you started. Put the screwdriver into the slanted guide, engage the adjuster at the bottom, and turn the screwdriver 2 or 3 complete turns in the U direction. Watch the light beam on the blank wall to see what moves. You should see the beam move up. Go for a drive. If it lights the road as you like and other drivers don't flash their lights at you, you found the spot.

Washingtonian likes this.
  7. MORTEN LUND

MORTEN LUND New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, the right term is adaptive headlight. Yes it has the four lights horizontally. The dealer told me it was not possible to adjust it because of the idea behind adaptive light. It will adjust it self back if I try to somehow bend the lamp holder up or down. But maybe you are right and I could raise the down light just a little.

A questionable solution is this. If you transport your car to England - where they have right-hand traffic - in the past they would put a sticker on high beam just enough to stop the blinding, because of the changed light adjustment for right and left hand steered cars. It was a little black sticker the size of a thumb, on the outside of the high beam headlight, in the upper half.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will look into it. Best wishes.

8. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The U.S. is slow to update their headlight regulations for new technology. The EU may have different, more modern headlights than we can get here.

9. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have matrix headlights on my Model 3 here in Canada but all I can do with them so far is write Tesla on my garage wall during a lightshow :unsure: