1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

max emergency electrical power from Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jdl1787, Dec 15, 2006.

1. jdl1787

jdl1787 New Member

I just wondered if anybody knows the maximum practical wattage to try and draw from the Prius cigarrett lighters when being used as an emergency electrical power supply, and if anybody has suggestions of what inverters to use? I also wonder if you need to leave the car in the driving mode, or if it will automatically run the ICE in the accessory mode as well?

-I have just been through a long power outtage (Seattle windstorm 2006!) and was able to use my 150W inverter that plugs into the cigarett lighter (origionally intended for computers) to power the air pumps for my 3 large fish tanks. It worked great, having the Prius only turn on the ICE when needed, and so nice and quiet! I wanted to also power my aquarium heaters and even more household items but had already used too much of the 150W capacity of my inverter. Instead of buying a noisy gasoline generator for the future, I want to replace my inverter with two inverters of maximum capacity that the cigarett lighters will handle.

Also, I couldn't figure out a way to leave my prius active and lock the doors at the same time so I just installed a "club" on the steering wheel and kept an eye on it. Any suggestions on how to secure the Prius so I can leave it "on" as a generator all night and not have to worry about it? (I park on the street).

Thanks, any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't go higher than 150 watts in the 12v power point. I hooked up a 1,500 watt Inverter directly to the 12v battery after hurricane Wilma last year with no problems. Only ran it for a few hours a day for a few days, but it felt like it could go much longer; hardly used any gas.

You can leave the Prius active by just locking the driver door with the mini-key and taking the key and fob with you. The Club should be enough of an additional deterrent.

4. jdl1787

jdl1787 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Dec 15 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]362992[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! -that looks great.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Dec 15 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]362994[/snapback]</div>
    -thanks for the tip, I might try an inverter on the battery like you did. Thanks too about the key, I completely forgot about that.