1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Max SOC for engaging EV

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Presto, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anyone know the maximum SOC that allows the EV mode to still be engaged? I've been experimenting with that, and the highest SOC that allowed EV for me was 77%.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I would have though 65-67% would've been the max....

3. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay... i did some more experimenting with EV today. The max SOC that allowed EV mode to engage was 80%, although it cancelled right away because the ICE started up to give me heat. After turning down the heat, the ICE shut off, and I engaged EV again at 79%. This time EV stayed on since the ICE didn't cancel it.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get my SOC that high almost ever, I did get it up to 75% yesterday, thought to try the EV after your question at 74%, but I got a triple beep...tried again at 73% and it went right in... I suspect there are other factors besides just SOC that determine the limit...ICE temp? Cat and Inverter tempp?

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont have a can-view yet to show me whats going on but I remember force charging the battery about a month ago and it would not let me force EV until I was back in the blue.

My canview and screen should be here in the next week or two and I will try to run a few tests if my screen works. I bought a different screen to use than what was suggested but that will be another topic.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so you mean you're trying to engage EV Drive mode with 8 bars?

7. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep. EV can engage at 80% but it is still restricted by other parameters like inverter/battery temp, etc... It's been cold enough lately that I thought I would try to see what max SOC allowed EV. There's a hill at the beginning of my commute that takes me up to 80%+ most of the time. On the hill, that time, I was stuck behind a slow driver so the Prius had enough time to fully warm up and the ICE stopped by the time I got to the bottom. I still had to drive a block to let the inverter cool a bit before EV would engage.