1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Max. Speed in Reverse.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ronhowell, May 4, 2009.

1. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Given that the speed limits for MG1 and MG2 in the 2010 Prius have been changed, has anyone asked if the speed limit in reverse has changed from the 20 MPH for the G2 Prius?

2. chindiana

chindiana New Member

Model:
    V
    Please don't take this the wrong way, and pardon my ignorance, but why would anyone need to go faster than 20MPH in reverse? Stunt driving? :)

1 person likes this.
  3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Knowing the RPM limits of each (13000 before reduction MG2, 10000 MG1) and gearing, one should be able to figure this out.

4. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have never driven in reverse over 20mph (or probably near!) in ANY car I have owned so I cannot imagine needing more then 20mph unless you are filming a car chase scene!

Apparently my mustang can do around 40mph backwards (YIKES!).

5. oms2burn

oms2burn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't know, but (slightly off topic), I was impressed to notice that in reverse, it still ADDS to your gas mileage if you are in EV mode (I could just see a programming bug make it subtract). I wish I owned a test track to try out the 20 MPH thing.

6. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When shopping for cars, one of my most important features is high speed reverse driving. If I can't back out of my garage faster than 20 mph then the 2010 Prius is not for me. Also if you need to turn the odometer back you could jack the car up and put it in reverse. This works great if you steal you dad's ferrari for a joyride and don't want him to know. SAVE FERRIS !!!!

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know how fast I drive in reverse, I tend to be looking out the back of the car at the time.

Reminds me of a story.
    When I was a young lad, back in the days of mechanical speedos, I working in a petrol station. I had just arrived at work to take over from another worker, David. David had his mates around as they were going out when he finished work. One of David's mates Fred, was bragging about how fast his car was in reverse, I forget how fast but I think he said something like 40mph. He went on and on about it and I thought to myself, "what a wanker!" then he did it, he turned to me, as I wasn't acting at all impressed with his boasting, and he asked me, "how fast will your car go in reverse Pat?"

My reply,

"I don't know, my speedo doesn't work in reverse."
    His mates laughed very loudly saying things like, "good point Pat!"

This really happened.