1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maxed Consumption Bars

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On June 23, 2006, I managed (easily) to max out the consumption bars during a two day mini trip from Sacramento to Mono Lake and then back home driving east through Yosemite.

This is what happened to our Consumption screen while descending from Touloumne Meadows (8,775 feet) down to the Yosemite Valley floor (4,000 feet). It took no effort – in fact, there were 45 contiguous minutes worth of maxed-out bars.

[attachmentid=3900]

The number of 50 WH regenerated car symbols does NOT tell the story of how steep the road was during the 5 minute sections . . .

The traction battery was already nearly full, so the 20 to 30 minute sections only recorded a little regeneration. The 15 to 20 minute section didn't record any regeneration as the battery was full. At that point, as a test, I turned on the Air Conditioner, and the car regenerated like heck. The battery charge level briefly went down by only one bar. After that 10 to 15 minute segment was recorded, I turned the A/C off. As you can see, the car then recharged the battery. And once again, there was no regeneration for the last five minute period . . . even though I was riding the brakes to get maximum regen.

As you can also see, the Yosemite Valley floor was hot that day, so the A/C came back on for comfort sake. B)

2. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

nice. I almost had it when I went to crater lake....

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Big deal. I had 15 minutes of 99+ a while ago. More importantly I did this in FLORIDA! My elevation change was from 22 feet to 21 feet! :p

Beat that!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's scary is both of you have 51.6 mpg lol and very similar miles.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 24 2006, 09:15 AM) [snapback]276338[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed the same MPG readings too. :blink: That just goes to show what an amazing car the Prius is . . . either on flat land or in the high mountains. But my MPG number was without the benefit of the last net 4000 foot decline back down into the Sacramento Valley. The trip ended at the same gas station in Sacramento with two gas gage pips still showing and 52.5 MPGs.

The difference between DocVijay's high mileage run an mine is that the good Doc couldn't have gone more than a couple of miles at 100+ MPGs with only a one foot decline – so he must have been creeping along in traffic for ten to fifteen minutes. And for his overall mileage, if he were in Florida the whole time, and registered a 59 degree reading, I doubt he ran his Air Conditioner at all.

My reading, on the other hand, shows what happened during a 55 mile, 4,775 foot decline (which equates out to an average road grade of 1.64 percent). The reason my display doesn't show recharge in every segment is because my battery was full. Turning on the A/C allowed for recharging to happen once again, but soon after turning it off, the battery was once again full and recharging ceased.

The trip ending with 52.5 MPGs is outstanding all by itself, but if you take into account that the A/C was blasting away for ¾ of the time, that MPG reading is fantastic! :D

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

That's one change I'd love to see toyota make...

Somehow tell me how many miles were on each of those 5 minute segments.

Then, it can be up to someone to see if they can get more than 8.75 miles on any one 5 minute segment..

7. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This thread clearly shows the different look of the 2006 MFD screen compared with the 2005 MFD. I'm glad I have a 2006. Much cleaner graphics.

8. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 24 2006, 03:54 AM) [snapback]276244[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. Very nice picture. For foreigners like me it might be worth mentioning that 51.6 MPG (US) is the same as about 61MPG with UK gallons and about 4.45 litres/100kms elsewhere.
    I also found it interesting that this is the same MPG that I had recently on a 48 mile trip in southern England on very congested roads at a temperature of 4C. (40F.) so the heater was on.