Maxgreen Lvl 2 Charger (or other recommended cheap chargers)

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by fredonly, Nov 13, 2017 at 7:27 PM.

1. fredonly

fredonly New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm looking for an inexpensive 240V Charger for my 3-day old Prime. I searched amazon and ran across a unit from Maxgreen at the attractive price of $280 (I'm new to the forum, and it won't let me post a link). Has anyone tried it? Would anyone have reservations about using it?

I'd be interested in other suggestions for an inexpensive unit. I'm just looking for a faster charge; I can live without WIFI connectivity.

2. Dm84

Dm84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is a $25k-$30k car. Don't cheap out on this. The Siemens Versicharge is probably the cheapest charger I'd recommend.

Are you installing inside or outside?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    look on eBay for a good used unit.

4. CraigM

CraigM New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Can’t comment on this particular unit, but have two items you might want to consider.

The cord from the box that usually gets mounted on the wall is only 17 feet. This might be OK, but figure where the unit will be mounted and where the car will be parked.

The unit is 16 amps which fully supports the 3.3kWh built in charger in the Prime. You might want to get a larger, like a 32+ amp charger if you ever plan to get a pure EV in the future. Of course you also have to have a proper circuit for whatever sized EVSE you decide on.

Craig

5. fredonly

fredonly New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any technical reason for that? I don't understand what these things do, other than act as a conduit for electrons.

My car will be parked outside (at least, until I finally clean up the garage).The 220V outlet is inside the garage and I will also have to use an extension cord.

Bisco- I looked at eBay, and found an even cheaper one. A new Duosida, costing $190. The few used ones actually cost more.