1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maximum Luggage Capacity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clintd555, Feb 12, 2007.

1. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Seems rather small for what you all here are able to fit on your Prius.

How do they come up with these specs? The Honda CR-V has more than double the luggage capacity of the Prius but are they folding the seats down to get more than double? Or is it the vertical space I'm missing?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clintd555 @ Feb 12 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]389012[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know how they calculate capacity and I really don't care. I use the plastic mail tub from the Post Office as the standard unit of measure. The car fits 4 on the deck and 4 across the back seat (seat back up) which meets my criteria. I don't like to load over the seats as the hatch window is blocked but I saw one packed to the ceiling. If your stuff doesn't actually fit in the car the specs are worthless.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I always tell people the Prius was designed using non-Euclidean geometry: It's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside! Seriously, though, it feels that way. From the outside it looks like a little car, but on the inside it's amazing. Toyota managed to push all of the space robbing parts way forward or back, and the bubbly top adds a lot of headroom. I'm still impressed. Take a look at this post: What you can fit into a Prius

Tom

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some measure it to the roof, others measure it to the top of the rear seatback. Depends how you wanna measure it.

Of course, with the seats folded, the compact SUV wins (in particular the CR-V and RAV4 because of their low floor and removeable rear seats).

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Feb 12 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]389299[/snapback]</div>
    We compare it to Mary Poppins' bag... :eek: