1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[May 5,2013] 2012 Prius C Two shook violently (scary) - no check engine light came on

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ShoesmithJ, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ShoesmithJ

ShoesmithJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Folks,

So I've been looking around the web for answers and stumbled upon PriusChat. Last Cinco De Mayo my boyfriend and I took a trip up to Mount Hood from Portland, Ore. When we got to the campsite we unpacked, had campfire, beer and relaxing lakeside walk. The evening was warm and balmy. The next morning when we were headed down the mountain we started up the car and it shook so violently from the front right side my boyfriend and I bailed out of the car almost in James Bond panic. We looked under the hood and found nothing (expecting a squirrel). We waited about 20 minutes and then restarted the car having no access to the greater world (no reception). The second time nothing happened. We coasted down the mountain most of the way. I then took the car back to the Broadway Toyota and they had no idea what had happened. Mind you I took her in for 5,000 check up 5 days before going up the mountain. I am wondering if it could be gas related? Altitude related? Any ideas? No check engine light or anything. Anyone have this happen ever?

2. citroenjohn

citroenjohn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mine did the same thing a few months ago. Since that time, it has not happened again. Never found the cause, but, I believe this issue can be found elsewhere in the forum and none of the C owners have experienced continuing problems. My dealer could also not explain what happened. These Prius C's seem to have a mind of their own and sometimes do somewhat weird things and/or make weird sounds. Someone on the forum says it's just your car communicating with the Mother Ship. I think that's the best explanation. Despite its being somewhat weird, I still think my C is one of the best cars I've ever owned in 50+ years of car ownership.

bmw likes this.
  3. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds EXACTLY like the TSB issue on the Gen. 3 liftbacks and v wagon...upon start up, the engine has a fit of pre-ignition. Caused by moisture sitting around overnight in the intake assembly, then being sucked into the engine at startup, causing the ruckus you described. Your dealer should have found a trouble code when they hooked up the diagnostics after it happened. My v wagon left 2 codes, and then had the intake replacement per the TSB. All should be well now. Perhaps the "c" has not had enough complaints yet. Search the Gen 3 forums describing the issue.