1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maybe a Fusion Energi plug-in instead of a PiP?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Cutlass, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Cutlass

Cutlass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, maybe I'll get Fusion Energi plug-in instead of a PiP?

Of course, I'll have to see what the stories are with the 2013 PIP and remote start warmup, and the Fusion Energi plug-in price.
    IMHO, if the Fusion Energi plug-in is under ~$45K for a fully loaded car (after any tax breaks/etc), then it may be hard to pass up.

I've said a few times, that not being able to warm up a PIP remotely means, to me, it's a worthless POS $40K car. I'm looking at getting a fully loaded car, and I want a factory remote. Toyota may add in the pre-warm remote start feature in the 2013 model, but who knows?

Ford unveils Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid, alongside gas and regular hybrid variants -- Engadget
    ============
    Ford unveils Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid, alongside gas and regular hybrid variants
    By Dante Cesa posted Jan 9th 2012 12:01AM
    It might not be a full EV like last year's Focus Electric, but that doesn't mean you should count the 2013 Fusion out. All-new and packed to the gills with gadgetry like lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control, it's notable for being offered in gasoline, hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants. Efficiency for the mid-sized sedan ranges from 26MPG city and 37MPG highway in the gasoline burner all the way to 47MPG city and 44MPG highway for the lithium-ion toting hybrids. And for the Fusion Energi plug-in, it'll rock an estimated 100MPGe -- 7MPGe better than the Volt and 13MPGe better than the Prius plug-in, despite being larger than either. It'll also roam electrically for 20 miles before firing up its engine, and like the Prius equivalent it'll accelerate all the way up to 62MPH on battery power alone.

On the infotainment side you're looking at the latest, more-simple version of MyFord Touch, naturally paired with SYNC. And just like the Focus Electric or C-MAX Energi, charging, heating and cooling can all be controlled remotely with MyFord Mobile. No word on price, but Ford says it'll show up in stateside showrooms, later this year. As for curious Europeans in the crowd, Ford says much of the design carries over to next year's Mondeo. We'll get our drive-on hands-on shortly, but a video, PR and a gallery await after the break.
    ============

Since I started looking for a replacement car, I've told people that the only new Ford that I like is the Fusion - nice car! Handles great, plenty of power, super comfortable, etc. But, I have my luxury barge - fully loaded 2000 Olds Intrigue - 100% new factory engine, 100% new factory tranny 2 years old, all new brake lines, many parts refreshes, etc. (Yes, it's a typical POS GM :)) I also have my '86 Mustang GT with a good number of mods as my performance car.

So, I'm looking for replacement commuter car with very good gas mileage.

I'm on the opposite coast from Dianne. In New England, if you want a PIP or Prius, the dealers laugh when you mention the "retail price". The Toyota dealers are doing a very good at telling people "go screw, we'll rip you off for as much as we want, and if don't like it, go by a POS GM that will break down before you even leave the dealer's parking lot". That also weighs in on my decision if I'll get a PiP.

IMHO, Ford has been focusing on quailty and not short-term profits. Toyota used to be like that, and it seems like they may have gotten back on that track. The delay in releasing the PiP is, IMHO, a good example of Toyota's renewed commitment to quailty.

Oh well, we'll see. I still greatly prefer the many years and many miles of design/testing/updates to the Prius/"PiP". Maybe Toyota will fix the no-warm startup remote option, and the local dealers will stop being a ripoff on buying a Prius/PiP?

1 person likes this.
  2. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just saunter down to the CarMax in Laurel MD and get yourself whatever you want with no attitude (I am not affiliated with them in any way.) I get all my cars there, and they are very nice, and mark down from bottom sticker (MSRP). I used to work at several car dealers (including Ford, which was just as nasty) and the CarMax model has them all beat (I am talking NEW Toyota dealership, not used.) Then you can tell the local dealers to take a flying leap yourself.

1 person likes this.
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Too bad it is not a hatchback. I wonder how much trunk space the plugin battery would take up. C-Max Energi is a better choice if you need the hatch flexibility like PiP.

Yea, I can't wait for the price and cargo volume / battery placement.

4. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The new Fusion appears to be a good looking car, much better looking than many Fords in recent years. That being said, I'd be hesitant to purchase a full time hybrid from them without seeing a much longer track record as to how they hold up. Though I've not owned a Ford in many years, based on the experience I do have with them, I question their ability to maintain a system as complex as a hybrid. Heck, they couldn't even get my AC working to my satisfaction, how can they be expected to fix a hybrid?

I'd not rule them out for future purchase, but I would want to see a 5 year or more track record for their new hybrid type vehicles. As for other American brands, I would want to see 10 years!!!!

5. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This morning I saw a picture of the 2013 Fusion. Nice looking. The article made it sound very interesting.
    When I bought my 2010 Prius I considered a Fusion .... hybrid Fusions were hard to find at that time. Since then, I have been completely satisfied with the Prius.
    The only nagging negative I have is Consumer Reports in a recent article stated that Ford quality was on the decline.

6. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wasn't that mostly due to issues with the SYNC/My Ford Touch or whatever it is?

1 person likes this.
  7. Cutlass

Cutlass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all of the feedback and opinions!
    I'll cross my fingers for a pre-warm remote start for the PiP. For me, that is a 100% deal breaker - period.

Thanks for the tip! The attitude of the local Toyota dealers last summer when asking about a PiP or even a new Prius just turned me right off. It was like they almost want to charge people for even talking to them.

I'm still leaning towards the PiP because of the long history, it's the 3+ generation (many minor upgrades), etc.

That's also a huge concern of mine! Just look at all of the changes that the Prius drive-train has gone through in the past ~10 years. Now, the "weak links" in the Prius are some bearings around ~150++K, and the internal air being drawn for the battery fan (more of an issue for those of use with fur-kids (dogs :)). Otherwise, it's a very solid design!
    Toyota took the conservative approach with the PiP and the new battery. IMHO, for me, another plus!

LMAO! Yea, some idiots at Ford think that having a touch screen for everything makes sense. Plus, add in an original stupid menu system, poor layout, etc, and you got people getting ready to put a hammer through that stupid thing.

I'll have to see about the PiP pre-warm remote start, and the Fusion plug-in price. I'm not sure if I want to want longer than fall 2013 for replacement (~18 months from now!). That might allow time for the 2014 PiP to be announced and defined, and some time of people's feedback using the plug-in Fusion.

I originally wanted a replacement commuter last summer. But, after talking to the local ****** Toyota dealers, I decided that I wouldn't even buy a new Prius. I figured I'd see about the PiP, get prices, get an estimated delivery date, and if none of that worked, then I'd just get a new Prius. Instead, I spent $5K for a 100% new factory engine (and many parts) for my POS Olds so that I have that as my 2nd winter car. Extreme? Nope, considering the dealer markups back last Spring/Summer, I'd be ahead of the game today if I bought a Prius for retail and sold the Olds.

8. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    You can see the specs here

2012 North American International Auto Show | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

Fusion is 118/16 cu. ft. of passenger & cargo space. Energi is 114/12. So Energi looses a total of 8 cu ft.

BTW, PIP is 94/22.

1 person likes this.
  9. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    118 cu. ft of interior volume seems like a lot.

As a comparison:

Mercedes S550 has 125 cu ft
    BMW 5-series 100.5 cu ft
    Lexus LS460 117 cu ft

The Fusion does look like a nice car. I'd be surprised if it is in the same ballpark as the PiP.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ford Escape Hybrid had a good track record, especially used as Taxi.

However, it used NiMH from Sanyo and the eCVT transaxle was from Aisan, the same supplier as Toyota HSDs.

The new Fusion has the Lithium battery and the transaxle is Ford's in-house. It would be a good idea to "wait and see" but I think it'll be less risky than going with Hyundai or Optima hybrids. Ford hybrids have the same power-split type as HSD. The fundamental design is pretty much the same.

1 person likes this.
  11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TCH has cargo volume of 13.1 cu. ft.

Fusion is a bigger car from the passenger and cargo space. Interesting, Energi plugin model takes up 8 cu. ft., 4 from passenger and 4 from cargo.

12. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Camry is 118/15, Camry Hybrid is 116/13. Very similar numbers compared to Fusion, which will be a direct competitor.

13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I never understand the not buying something because of a infinitesimally small percentage of the price thing is not as wanted or missing from the factory...

Not buying a $400K house because some rooms' paint colours are wrong, or not buying a $40K car because a $50 remote start isn't included...

$50/$40,000 = 0.00125 = 0.125%

14. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Especially since remote starts are such an energy waster.

1 person likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was do to the My Ford system. It's a design issue, but doesn't impact reliability.

Anybody remember the clocks on old VCRs and microwaves? If unset the clock display would continually flash. Which would get annoying fast, but setting the clock meant digging out the manual to follow the confusing directions. The devices played movies or made popcorn just fine, regardless of whether or not the display was flashing.

My Ford is the same PITA, but the vehicle still performs its main function without problem.

The Escape hybrid has been on the road for over 6 years now without a major problem with the hybrid system. I think Ford knows how to put a reliable hybrid on the road.
    It isn't a simply remote start that's being discussed. The Volt and most EVs can use grid power to preheat or cool the cabin, and maybe even the battery. While the PiP has a precool option, it can't preheat. While Toyota's decision to rely on the ICE for cabin heat with meager electric units is sound, it does mean that in some areas the PiP will be in hybrid mode like a regular Prius for 2 to 3 months. For the extra cost to go plug, this is unacceptable to some people.

1 person likes this.
  16. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was under the impression that the earlier Ford hybrids had a "patent swap" with Toyota where Ford basically used the design from Toyota and Toyota used some supposed Ford patents for something else completely. But the new model including the plugin is a Ford-only design. If true, then it brings that level of questioning with it.

As to preheating, if you have the money for a plugin vehicle and a place to actually plug it into, you more than likely have a garage. My garage stays nice and toasty since it is heated and even my mother's garage which isn't heated stays well above the "outside" temperature and is comfortable to walk around in all times of the year which include days where the high is low enough to cause near instantaneous numbing of appendages.

That's why I see no reason for pre-heating in the morning.

If you park outside at work, then you more than likely don't have a charging receptacle. If you park inside at work, then you more than likely wont have temperature issues. So I don't see a reason for preheating after work.

Obviously there are exceptions with plugs outside (notably back home where almost every parking meter has a plug for an engine block heater) and people who will buy the Plugin without a garage to house it. But designing for fringe cases is not what makes profit.

17. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Not correct.

Ford designed their system independant of Toyota. But Ford felt their implementation was close enough that they decided to cross-license some patents.

C-Max Energi: No, Ford doesn't use Toyota's Hybrid Drive System

C-Max Energi: George Gelb, Planetary Gear, Hybrid Drive and Ford

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can't go wrong with either choices. Power split plugin blends power using the same simple device that is extremely reliable. There are no clutches like the Volt.

Volt has the wrong blend of electric and gas. It does not use either fuel optimally. Rated at only 60 MPGe composite, Fusion Energi and Prius PHV should be able to top it easily.

The lesson is not to rush it out before the engineering standards are in place to measure the effectiveness.

2 people like this.
  19. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here are a few videos of the Ford c-max energi :

1 person likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The agreement involved 21 patents, IIRC.That's out of the >100 (I don't recall the number) of patents Toyota had on the HSD. So if it is insisted that those patents are Toyota tech used by Ford, then Ford's early hybrid system is 20% Toyota at most.