1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maybe it's time to check your cabin pollen filter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DaveG, Jun 22, 2005.

1. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just happened to check mine on Sunday while doing the EV install, and it wasn't a pretty sight... bits of bugs, pollen, dust, pollution, etc. Very nasty stuff. As good as the filter is, I didn't feel like breathing through dehydrated bugs and such...

I am very happy the filter caught the stuff instead of it being sucked into my car!

Anyways, the filters are about as easy as you can imagine to replace (it's right behind the lower glove box on the passenger side - just lower the glovebox, and press the sides of the box in near the top to allow the plastic catches to get past the plastic edge of the dash, and allow the box to swing down farther (you may have to detach the little lowering piston arm from the right side to get enough clearance once you get it down a few inches).

Slide out the white filter tray behind by pushing the clips on either side inwards, then slide out the old filter and replace with the new filter. Takes about a minute in all. Easy!

I got a new filter for $35 cdn. (and it was in-stock). (BTW: This was the stock filter that came with the car, so that's approx 18 months worth of Vancouver and Road-trip to California stuff in there).

Dave

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

changed both of ours a couple of months ago and they both looked just like yours. Nice to see that all that diesel soot is in the filter and not in the bottom of your lungs. I checked Dave's when I was down in Olympia/Lacey in May and his was relativily clean compared to ours.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume $35 is for the normal dust & pollen filter? Anybody checked the price for the electrostatic filter?

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Electrostatic filter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"100592)</div>
    [font=Comic Sans MS:d4d65fd64d]Who makes an electrostatic filter? Is it active (powered) or passive?[/font:d4d65fd64d]

5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"100592)</div>
    I can't find any mention of an electrostaitic filter in the Prius service manual - are you sure it's there?

Dave

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    DaveG,

It looks like you have mostly Los Angeles in that there air filter with just a little Washington State and BC mixed in.

Magnified, the filter looks a lot like L.A. while on final approach into LAX. :pukeright:

[​IMG]

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :lolup:

Dave, Bill,

Nono, it's not active. It's just a charged filter to trap particulates. Our standard filter is a dust and pollen but I've heard this electrostatic-type cabin filter is also available for some extra coin. Or maybe I'm dreaming lol. I don't think Vancouver's that polluted yet that we need a particulates filter.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    at $35 i am definitely not looking for extra coin options.

also, you might interested in knowing that ive checked mine twice and both times, it was dirty. the first time was after 9 months of ownership (thanks Frank) the 2nd time , a month after the first time.

but i simply took the filter out, rinsed it with the spray attachment of my kitchen sink, let it sit overnight to air-fry, then re-installed it.

i will continue this method until the filter tears or otherwise, starts showing signs of deterioration.

9. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I clean mine at least every couple months washing it as Dave does. However I have an activated charcoal filter behind the paper element. Thus the large particles are taken out by the paper element and the charcoal shows much very fine stuff.
    The charcoal filter is from a Honeywell HEPA filter unit, the round kind. The width is exactly right size and I cut several out of the length. Unfortunately I am not at my Washington home right now and do not remember the model number of the system. Go to a Home Depot and look at their replacement filters and measure to fit your unit.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Winnipeg city driving does that too. The filter stays fairly clean during winter, but with all the summer construction going on, it's already filthy.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh oh. I better check mine then. It's coming up to 8 months.

12. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Electrostatic filter

[font=Comic Sans MS:9f1b55f955]Well, if you can tickle your memory bone and recollect where you may have seen this electrostatic filter, I'd still be interested. I, too, put a charcoal filter foam element after the pleated, formed OEM element, mostly to remove odors. I'm one of those people who does not like a new car smell.

Washing the pleated filter may remove some of its effectiveness, though any filter is better than none, which most cars have. Typically, passive electrostatic filters are designed to be washable.[/font:9f1b55f955]

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's on this site somewhere. Hmm, I'll do a search

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's also great advice for odd-size furnace filters too.

When I built my home in the Burbs around 4.5 years ago, I had a Bryant HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator) installed.

The HRV is used to draw in fresh outside air and exhaust stale indoor air, very important for tightly sealed homes. The heat core allows heat transfer so at -40 you're not dumping icy air into the home.

The standard "filter" was a chunk of foam, so that had to go pronto. It was actually drawing in dust and pollen that summer. The Bryant dealer wanted to sell me "special" Bryant media filters, like $60 each.

He had some in stock and made the mistake of letting me take a close look at them. It was hard to make out but they were stamped "American Air Filter."

I took along one of the foam "filters" to the nearest Home Depot and found a wonderful selection of high efficiency (MERV 8-12) in stock, in many different sizes. I went with a MERV 12 in 14x25, which was closest to one of the dimensions of the foam "filter."

It even had a charcoal/carbon prefilter. $18 Cdn and all I had to do was trim to fit, so $9 per filter. Compare that to $60.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I have friends that swear by the Ionic Breeze by Sharper Image. I see that there are a couple of models made for in-car use. Anybody have any experience with these (car or otherwise)?

17. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Read Consumer Reports, last month I think, about Ionic filters.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    consumers report trashed the ionic breeze so badly that ionic breeze sued them. ionic breeze lost btw

19. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Thanks! Won't be going in that direction... Makes me wonder what CU has said about hybrids and the Prius. Need to check that out too.