1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maybe, just maybe a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SyZyGy, Aug 16, 2005.

1. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Well we might actually get a prius in a few months. We sold our Lexus. I have a Lancer Evo (in the avatar) and it gets decent mpg. I'm thinking of letting my older brother have it because I have no use for it. I have a Yamaha rocket that fills my need for speed, but I want a car that gets amazing mpg. My bike gets around 30mpg when I'm driving aggressive, so ill keep it for now. The only downside is the bike only takes premium and its around 3.00 a gallon. The Evo also has to take premium or else it knocks, even if I fill it with gas that has one less octane rating than BP's premium. So now I'm on the hunt for a silver prius. My dad has no car now, because we sold his (the lexus) and he doesn't need one because he carpools to his plant in Alsip with one of his employees. So, I think that prius would be ideal. I've been begging him to get one for like a year or two. He said that it looks kinda funny and it is slow. But now he says that prius will ideal to have now since the gas is gonna hit 3 dollars a gallon for regular pretty soon. Now we are going to get 2 new motorcycles and maybe a prius. The new bikes are gonna be Yamaha R1's, check them out here, Yamaha R1. So that will fill our needs for speed and the prius will be the daily driver for us.
    The other reason is that I need a prius, is that if I get cought driving the bike the way I do, I'll lose my license. I just can't help it to let it loose. It's more fun than anything else in the world. I do drive my bike aggresively, but very cautiously. If your wondering, I'm not the kind of person that drives between cars like those idiots on the freeway. :mrgreen:

2. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Do you guys think that I should get a 05 Prius, or 06? Should I wait to get a 05 when the 06's come out to make them cheaper?

Also, got any tips to haggle with the salesmen to lower the price?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah yes, the long term struggle between the Lexus, father and the Prius =). Glad to know you're finally getting one.

Getting an 05 or and 06 is entirely preferential. I would go for an 06 only because I like the newer stuff and also, it'll look better when it comes to resale. An 06 bought in Oct 2005 looks better on paper than an 05 bought in Oct 2005. Also, you'll probably like the MP3 capabilities on the new 06 model.

If you want to get an 05, see if you can find one that has lots of 05s sitting around. He'll be desperate to get rid of them and hence will to be more flexible on the price. If he can't give you a good deal, then order an 06 instead. You can also bluff that somewhere else is giving you a better price or is willing to match your desired price on an 05 (or 06). I suppose, choose a dealer that's known to sell a lot of cars to make it believable. See if you can get free accessories or service credit (if you like their service dept.)

4. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To each his own, I guess. I'd rather have the '05 because I think the rear camera is silly, I wouldn't pay for leather, and there's no point in paying more for the '06 when everything I want is in the '05.

Also, at resale time, you have a comparatively low mileage '05 because you didn't start putting miles on it until late in the sales cycle. Your resale is better, not worse.

If you are a member of AAA or Costco/Sam's/BJ's try getting a price quote through them. In my area, it's the only chance you'll have to get a Prius for less than MSRP.

Karl B.