1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maybe My First Hybrid Pruchase

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PriusChadMN, Apr 26, 2011.

1. PriusChadMN

PriusChadMN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Gang,

Well my first post, been reading here as a guest for quite some time, thought it was time to get in here and make something happen....

I've been looking at a 2006 Prius, that has 116,000 miles on it, after researching with car fax I find out the car was sold in a auction out east, and the dealer sales person tells me it was a trade-in, the car was registered as commercial use, but everything checked out perfect, no accidents, nothing came up through car-fax,

what I'm wondering is that I was thinking of buying used with some higher miles, and buying the Hymotion electric conversion, and do some mods with areo dynamics myself, it this a better way to go or maybe get into a newer one? I know many are asking the same question, but being very new here, getting some opinions might be helpful.

Glad to be here, thanks for the feedback.

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The hymotion kit is a lot of money to spend on an older car, which has a higher probability of some sort of failure. But, a 2006 is not exactly old.

Having bought a gen3 and a cheap plugin kit, i wish i had bought a gen2 and a more expensive plugin kit.

3. PriusChadMN

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, I forgot to mention that our MN Dept Of Transportation made the news a week or so ago, stating that since our state is loosing so much money from people driving more fuel efficient cars, they want to test a program called a “drivers mileage tax” with GPS units, which is down right stupid, with all the efforts and accomplishments that have been made over the last sever al years, the only thing that comes is to surcharge everyone….

How are we ever going to win…...

That 2006 I found, I went through the car fax report on it, and I don't know if I trust a dealer that tells me that it was traded in, when the car fax shows it was sold at auction in Connetcuit,

I may have to do a search on here if someone's looking to sell....

4. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    can't really help you with car faxes, don't know what they are.

There's over 1,000,000 prius been sold in america now, if you don't like this one look elsewhere.

5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a plan to me. I'd be leery of modifying a new Prius because you can invalidate the warranty, which is part of the value of a newer car. A cheaper older/high mileage car doesn't have this, so feel free to modify away!

It's quite possible it was a trade-in, then the dealer in Connecticut sold it in auction. As long as it wasn't in an accident, that's as probably as much information as you can get from CarFax. If you could see it got regular oil changes and at least one ATF change, then you'd have some real peace of mind, but other than a private sale from a person who kept records, I'm not sure how you'd get that.

MN isn't the only state looking to supplement their gas tax. So I'm going to get a canopy for my recumbent trike, that should help cut down my vehicle miles. Good luck taxing a bicycle.

6. PriusChadMN

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well carfax shows full report, with service at toyota dealers, and history looks real clean, the car is going through toyota's inspection shop for certifying it ( said sales person ) but I will keep looking, maybe look on here if anyone is considering buying a new one and looking to sell their used one...

All I know is that I have an option in to plug-in the car at work, and if considering an option like the hymotion upgrade ( or others similar ), I could plug-in at work, my commute is only 12 miles one way, would be a good fit....