1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Mazda hybrid: Australians won't buy it' (claims Mazda)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rob.au, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Mazda hybrid: Australians won't buy it

The article seems to suggest Mazda doesn't think it can sell hybrids to private (ie. not government or corporate fleet) buyers, despite Toyota making a lot of claims lately of increasing sales to this segment, particularly with the locally manufactured Camry Hybrid.

Note that at the time of posting this, the article contains a significant inaccuracy regarding Prius sales, with the number reported there less than half the real figure and even fewer than the number of Prius c's sold in 2012 alone, when they weren't even on sale for the whole year. I have submitted a comment to that effect, so it may well be corrected in due course.

2. dipper

dipper Senior Member

If you are a hybrid car customer, would you buy a mazda hybrid that is basically the internals of Prius G2?

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting question: how would Prius sell if there was a non-hybrid Prius that was $3000-4000 cheaper and had more room, and got ~35 MPG? I'd be tempted to consider the non-hybrid unless I was putting on many miles per year (given my state's tax policies).

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably sell as well as the altima hybrid sold here. not really worth it. why are they even making one, government mandates?

5. OzPrius

OzPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem here in Australia is that everyone is sceptical about the HVB. They just dont understand the technology. We buy 4 cylinder sedans or SUV's and 4x4's. NB little or no government subsidies.

6. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I wonder how much this is true though, with the Prius c selling extremely well - possibly at some expense to the liftback - and the Camry Hybrid easily outselling the Prius to the point that Toyota has now sold more of those overall than they have of the Prius.

I agree that the growth of SUVs has been astonishing (and depressing) - but the hybrids seem to be getting a growing place in the lower end of the market that was buying Corollas and 4 cyl Camrys.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the Prius had a variable-height suspension, it could be far more useful to many more people. Low ground clearance can be a problem even on pavement, let alone in situations where you think you need an SUV. Citroen had it in 1954 - it's hardly 'new' technology.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mazda isn't bringing hybrid technology to North America either, arguably the largest hybrid market outside of Japan.

9. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, I can't stand the amount of SUV's here. A lot of my friends would definitely buy a Hybrid if it could tow, this is the real struggle point.

10. OzPrius

OzPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We actually need the Highlander Hybrid with 7 or 8 seats. I couldnt justify going from a Ford V8 to a large SUV or 4x4 when I would still spend $300 a month on diesel then have the costlier servicing and maintenance costs that come with owning a 4x4. Maybe Mitsubishi may have such a vehicle in the next Pajero with hybrid drivetrain, as the Outlander PHEV is only 5 seats.

11. ccnp999

ccnp999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am using Alphard 8 seats hybrid version, oil consumption is about 12-13km/L.

12. OzPrius

OzPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been doing some research on the Alphard and it turns out that you cant just import one into Australia. You need to live in Japan, buy one and own it for at least 12 months, then you can return to Australia with it and get it complied for approximately $2500. Simple.