1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

McDonalds to offer free charging stations

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by accordingly, Jul 21, 2009.

1. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Watts are free at new McDonald's - Technology - News & Observer
    Obviously 15 minutes of charge time is not going to do much with today's EVs, nor will the pool of early EV adopters and McDonalds customers necessarily overlap perfectly, but I do think it's great news. Other businesses will undoubtedly copy this and it's a great step forward twoards public acceptance.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    +1

I agree on all points.

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I hope it is not a coin operated charging station.
    This day will come.

4. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually I think I saw the chargepoint stations at our Electric Beach Bash earlier this year, and yeah, they can get a lot done in less time than plugging into a regular 110V AC outlet. So maybe not a full charge in 15-30 minutes but a substantial boost is possible.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    While not a big McDonalds fan, if they offer this in my area and other places don't, it would result in me eating at McDonalds more often.
    I also would be likely to take my time while eating, quite possibly eating more?

6. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    McDonalds accomplished their mission with this already: some positive publicity to counter the negative publicity about the energy used to produce their beef, and the lack of healthiness in their offerings. One store? You can bet that if all cars became electric tomorrow, that charge station would have an ATM card reader slapped on the side of it. Which might be a good start-up business to go after: profit-making charge stations to install at local businesses. Hmmm... might have to write up a business plan...

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice, while 15 minutes isn't much, I suspect that my family spends 30-45min when we go to the "arches". An opportunity charge of that duration, esp. if it's a 220V could certainly give a nice 25-30% range extension. If I'm on a drive at the limits of my battery's range this could be just the opportunity I need to make that drive practical in my EV.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Should they add pay toilets? Water shouldn't be free & when ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really, the fact that beef takes more energy than just about any other food is not specific to McDonalds. I don't think they have any 'countering' of that fact to do as they already offer a number of alternatives.

Again, this seems to not be bothering them much at all. They have already responded to this by offering healthier alternatives. Their offering of Salads could be seen as a counter to the publicity of how 'unhealthy' their food is, adding charge stations? Not so much.

10. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Potable water will be in more of a worldwide shortage than energy in the not to distant future. The price of toilet maintenance is part of the overhead, but if water skyrockets, yes, I would expect to have to pay to p.

Probably true.

Besides, I agree that they will sell what people want.

My point was that no corporation does anything without a profit motive, so this charging station is a publicity stunt. Not a bad idea in the long run, but still....

What I find interesting is that we will see this in retail long before employers will help out their employees by offering recharging stations (yes, some already do, but there's far less incentive for them than for a retail mass marketing firm).