1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

... meanwhile, on an obscure corner of the Wikipedia ~

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by asjoseph, May 16, 2017.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... it's a 6'45.9", more than 10 seconds faster than Niki Lauda's qualifying time, for the 1975 Grand Prix of Germany:

For a decade analysts fought like dogs at the Wikipedia, over the English having, in an effort reinforce the illusion of British engineering prowess, subverted and dominated the Nordschliefe page at the Wikipedia, showing their track car, the Radical SR8, always atop the production car classification:

List of Nürburgring Nordschleife lap times - Wikipedia

Terminal end of the evolution of the internal combustion engine, now that an electric vehicle, the NIO EP9, made in China no less, swiped the lap record for production vehicles on the Nordschliefe, did automakers just knee-jerk, cooking the books on a brand new recipe for Nordschleife vehicle classification, declassifying the Nio and the Radical SR8 from production car classification, now showing the Lamborghini atop the classification to preserve illusion of gasoline internal combustion vehicle superiority - QED, asj.

#1 asjoseph, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    WilDavis likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Pictures? Here's a link to a recent article;

NextEV Nio eP9 Release Date, Price and Specs - Roadshow

They say it's street legal, & faster than a Tesla. It SHOULD be faster with 1,300HP. It's definitely set up to do a higher top end - but it's not 'quicker' than Tesla ... their car's 0-60mph of 2.7 seconds is trumped by the 2.2 seconds of MS P100D ludicrous. That's a full ½ second slower. But yeah it is faster to 0-60mph compared to the less powerful Tesla versions. For roughly being10X the cost ($1.5M luxury tax included vs $150K) of the highest power Tesla - & the EP9 basically being a big battety & mostly carbon fiber, it darn well ought to have a higher top end.
    But - street legal? Maybe someday, if/when they pass US crash tests.
    It hasn't robbed Tesla of its "fastest sedan" in the world rating either, as the Chinese car appears to only be a 2 seater, at best.
    I'm not sure if it classifies as a 'production' car either (anybody want to chime in?), seeing they're made to order ... all 5 or 15 - if even that many have been made.
    Another note; The 1st batch of tesla MS's had voluntary recalls due too nasty motor whines (some of 'em at least) - but at their very worst of the worst - they still were 4X less whiny then the EP9 in the video above . That whine would get old really fast, no matter how loud the stereo volume was set. BUT -
    My red (no pun intended) flag is THIS;
    "made in china" .... YOU know .... the land of lead painted children's toys, arsenic laiden pet food , $19 Rolex watches, knockoff BMW's etc. But hey, they're new aircraft carrier hasn't sunk yet ..... and their record sized hydroelectric Dam hasn't crumbled apart, so maybe their exotic sport car will eventually do okay. I will give it this .... it does look just as nice as any of the other "Please look at me!!" sports cars running around.
    All that said ... congratulations to the power of electrons - breaking the Nuremberg record !

#2 hill, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Indeed! I realized when driving the Ioniq how ignorant and poorly matched are traditional engines and stepped transmissions. In contrast, electric motor even with a single gear or the Prime and eCVT, they really are more closely matched to vehicle performance. Over time, efficiency wins.

Bob Wilson

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I knew this day would come. Now - consider the arrogance of the Ferrari leadership saying that they will NEVER build electric super cars;

Sergio Marchionne: Building An Electric Ferrari Would Be “Obscene,” So Ferrari Will Never Make One | Transport Evolved

and yet it was only after the likes of Porsche & /or MB-team Petronas began blowing Ferrari off the Formula 1 tracks * other venues that they became ameanable to the notion of making a hybrid race car. IIRC, It was this same leadership that spewed hatrid of the Fiat e500 - claiming they will ONLY produce the minimum legally required ... and how they loose $14k on each one. Yea never mind the CARB credits that offset their guzzlers. Yea never mind that minimum production assures the highest production cost, because you only get to spread R&D costs over a smaller batch of production. Call me the eternal optimist but I'll bet that Ferrari - after getting their butts handed to them, once the 1st ev blows them off the track - they'll start looking for new leadership. Hey Ferrari, welcome to the 21st century.

Sapphire Dragon likes this.