1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Measures to keep car cool

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ramapra, Oct 7, 2011.

1. ramapra

ramapra New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Currently my car is parked outside . From what have read so far , it seems that battery life could be affected by heat . What measures are best recommended to keep the interior cool ,especially the rear of the car where the batteries are located .

1. Are u always using a heat shield ( mounted on the front windshield) ?

Which one would be ideal ? Need to purchase one .

2. Is there a similar heat shield for the rear ? or are people tinting their rear windows ?

Any other measures / best practices to enhance battery life ?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The above statement is speculation by me and others (?)... mainly based on what the correlation I believe I've seen between HV battery failures and high temps and commutes w/hills. If someone thinks my speculation is wrong, chime in.

Yes, I use a sun shade for my front windshield. If parked somewhere safe (where people won't muck w/your car, throw stuff in your windshield or where critrers might crawl in), I'd leave the windows opened a crack.

In CA, I also tried to avoid parking out in the sun or at least parked in an area that would see sun for fewer hours of the day.

Since your location is Foster City, I assume that's in CA. If so, your HV battery is warranted 10 years/150K miles so long as the car was purchased, registered and operated in CA or other CARB states. See your warranty booklet for details.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buy the sunshield they sell here at Priushop. It fits the windshield perfectly. I always use it and after 4 years in Florida my dash is perfect. My Priusshop shield is over 4 years old is still in really good shape. Its made really well and its insulated. I also have a hood over the mfd to keep the sun off the mfd.

That and a real high quality tint job.

Its amazing when I park at work I'm usually the only car that has a windshield cover up out of 50 cars. Whats it take like 10 seconds to put the shield up?

With these I can leave the car in Fla sun all day and its not bad at all. I have never heard the battery fan go on.

AVS vent visors really help but never got around to those. There nice cause you can crack the windows without rain getting in. I have them on my other cars. They work really well.
    http://www.amazon.com/AVS-94155-Ventvisor-Deflector-Piece/dp/B001PVUJJU