1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mechanic says engine mount is worn after catalytic converter stolen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Brenden Truman, May 9, 2024.

1. Brenden Truman

Brenden Truman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone, long story short my catalytic converter was stolen for the second time and I had it replaced at an auto shop through insurance.

When I brought it home, I noticed the car was squeaking when accelerating or decelerating and it could be reproduced by rocking the car. I brought it back to the auto body shop who said it was due to a worn engine mount on the right side (see pictures), and showed me how it leads to the noise when rocking the car. They said it isn’t related to the catalytic converter so I would be on my own replacing it, even though it is located very close to the cat.

From my understanding it would be rare for a gen 3 Prius to have a worn motor mount given the size and lack of power of the engine. It also appears to me that a nut is missing from the right side which I feel like could have been taken off in mistake when the punks took off my catalytic converter. Do y’all think the engine mount failure could be from normal wear and tear or am I crazy in thinking this was from the vandalism and should try getting my insurance to fix the mount? My 2015 Prius has 95k miles on it.

Attached Files:

#1 Brenden Truman, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say unlikely, but not impossible. any place you can get a second opinion? run it by your insco as well

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Motor mounts tend to where out and need replacing when you have a really big engine... That's simply not the case with smaller engines but mechanics make that dishonest claim all the time. You need to get under the car and find the exact location of the noise so you can determine if it's something they are responsible for fixing.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you think the bolt is missing, replace it. If the issue goes away........