1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Mechanical Investigative Minds

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by NewsStripper, Apr 10, 2023.

1. NewsStripper

NewsStripper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unknown to me, an acquaintance introduced an unscrupulous mechanic then both looted original Toyota Prius vehicle part’s and may have damaged hybrid system/s.

Mechanic says I need new brake’s and rotors (less than a month after a NYS Inspection), acquaintance confirmed & say’s he will purchase my brake’s & rotor’s. Mechanic say’s to my acquaintance because we’re friends, I’ll only charge you $100 for labor. I thought labor included too? I said to my acquaintance, I can’t accept, he’s insisting and with that he has no ulterior motives, he’s a nice guy who recently came into some money and want’s to help. A day was set for the brake’s and rotor’s.

The brake job was done. The following day, a noise is heard from the rear passenger wheel area. I called the mechanic, he asked that I let things settle and if noise continues to get back to him. Shortly thereafter, an alert, check engine light came on. I pulled into a full service station and the girl shuts it off. I call mechanic, I let him know about the check engine light and now my horn isn’t working. I go back to the mechanic and he says I need caliper boots and a Clockspring.

I buy the caliper boots but not the Clockspring. I let the mechanic know it’s an expensive item and I’ll need to shop around. The caliper boots were wrong, he rescheduled me. Two weeks later, he lets me know I need to purchase a Clockspring and 3 rear caliper brackets, pin kit, bushing’s and boots.

No changes, the noise from the wheel continued to make noise,

I was instructed by a NYC mechanic to ask Auto Zone to do a OBD II scan so I followed that direction. The print out reads C1214 ABS malfunction in hydraulic system; not to manufacturers specifications.

I return to the mechanic to let him know my vehicle wheel noise hasn’t changed and there was nothing wrong with my vehicle prior to him installing brake’s/rotors. I show him Auto Zones OBD II print out. He say’s he wants to check the vehicle again. After checking the vehicle, my problems just got worse, the once perfect vehicle needs 3 wheel bearing’s but I didn’t know what wheel bearing’s were. Toyota service spoiled me, I dropped off the vehicle for maintenance work, they took care of my car needs, I paid and left.

I return to Auto Zone the next day to get the receipt for the brake’s/rotor’s the acquaintance purchased for my vehicle.

Auto Zone mgr tell’s me I am blocked from the commercial account and say’s “your friend purchased $1600 in parts on the day you were with him and he returned all those part’s the following day.

omG, the brake’s/rotor’s along with part’s for his vehicle we’re returned. I call the acquaintance who now refuses to give me anything in writing that he purchased my brake’s/rotor’s. I called the mechanic, he says your friend paid cash, there is no receipt.

I called my auto Insurance Agent, he refers me to his personal mechanic. Off for a vehicle pre inspection.

Mechanic Sweeney

DTC’s Read’s:
    B2312: Master Switch of Driver Side Door Malfunction.

U0142: Lost communication w/body control module B

U0155: Lost communication w/instrument control panel IPC control module.

C2123: Transmitter ID3 Not Received (main)

C2175. Vehicle speed or RSSI Signal Error.

Systems w/o code’s: Engine, Transmission, HV ECU, Anti Lock Brake’s, Airbag, Body Control Module, Cruise Control, Door Motor Modules - Driver - Current Codes, Passenger, Rear Left, Rear Right, Heating & A/C, Master Switch Module, Smart Key Access Current Codes, Power Source, Instrument Panel Cluster, Navigation System, OM1 Gateway, Electric Motor Power Steering, Plug-In Control, Occupant Classification, OBD II Codes ($03), OBD II Permanent Codes ($0A).

Readiness Monitors
    Complete
    Misfire
    Fuel System
    Comprehensive Component
    EGR/VVT
    Catalyst

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    eye, eye, eye! how many miles on your car? maybe go back to dealer?

3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What did the criminal investigator at the sheriff's office say

4. NewsStripper

NewsStripper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

5. NewsStripper

NewsStripper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    State Trooper said it’s a civil matter not criminal. When I called again 2 weeks later to report additional information, another State Trooper said it’s not happening because the State Trooper who initially took my report spoke to the mechanic and that mechanic denied all my claims.

6. NewsStripper

NewsStripper New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota service record’s prove there was absolutely nothing wrong with my vehicle prior to going to that mechanic. The 2013 Prius Plug-in model is a WINNER among auto investigative reports, it’s been featured in Time Magazine, U.S.News & World Reports, Consumer Reports, etc. The lifespan of that vehicle is 300k +. One vehicle is going strong at 600k miles and is used as a taxi (feel free to Google it).