1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mechanical or electrical?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by BobD, Jan 9, 2011.

1. BobD

BobD New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having a problem with my '01 Prius (with 99868 miles) that, after 8 years of successful troubleshooting, I can't figure out. It started with a humming sound coming from the front end that I thought was the tires, brakes, or something else. After checking tires and other stuff for about a month with no improvement (we only drive it about once or twice a week, usually a 30 mile round trip) I started it up one day with a new symptom.

It was about 10F outside. We had had heavy snow the week before and I had cleared a bunch of frozen road slush out of the wheel wells. When I started out there was a mechanical "clunk", and driving down the road there was a sort of rubbing sound from the front. It increased in volume and became more of a "howl" as the speed went up but was unrelated to engine RPM, just speed. Engine and battery functions all seemed normal so I just figured that I had either missed some ice that was rubbing on the drive shafts, brake shields, or something. When coasting to a stop the car didn't seem to go quite as far. Despite driving for 30 miles, 10 miles at low speeds, 20 miles at highway speed, hard acceleration, hill climbing, etc. the sound never stopped. Halfway through the trip I even jacked up each side of the front end to see if I could find anything rubbing. Nothing!

When I got it home I just parked it until the next morning. Next day I jacked up the entire front end and tried to start it but the 12-volt battery had gone dead. This had happened in previous years when the temps were really low. It seems that the charging system for the accessory battery isn't temperature compensated, so it never reaches a full charge in the winter. I grabbed a spare battery, took the half-frozen one indoors for charging, and jumpered the fresh one in its place (I had done this before in previous winters).

When I started the car and put it in drive with both front wheels off the ground the speed would only climb to 22 mph, so, although it still seemed to make the rubbing sound, I couldn't get it to spin faster despite "goosing" the throttle. I figured that either the traction control kept it from spinning with no resistance or I had the old problem with the HV computer connection to the throttle sensor that I'd had in previous years. So I undid the accessory battery and unplugged all 5 plugs going into the HV ECU (the throttle sensor connects to H14, the left-most plug). I plugged stuff back in and reconnected the 12-volt battery (this had always worked before). Starting it gave me a Hybrid System warning onscreen but it started and still spun the wheels at up to 22 mph. So I jacked the front tend back down after inspecting everything.(couldn't find anything wrong when rotating wheels, checking for bearing play, brake noise, shields loose, etc.).

Next I tried starting again and although the engine fired I still got the Hybrid System warning so I undid and redid the HV ECU plugs and battery again. Next start gave me just a Power Steering System warning (even though it was working perfectly beforehand and it's on it's third rack). Undid and redid plugs again and this time got just the Hybrid System warning and the car wouldn't start! I took the computer inside and dabbed an anti-oxidant gel on each terminal pin. Tried it again with the same results. Error codes on the OBDII show P3100, Hybrid System Malfunction (really helpful!!).

So is this a mechanical problem with the trans-axle (a posting I'd read here) or motor generators that is sending a shut-down message to the Engine ECU? Because of the transaxle posting I opened up the level check port on the transaxle and ATF level was perfect; no sign of discoloration. All I get on the dash is a nice bright display of an HV Problem icon, cold temp icon, brake indicator, but no READY light. I even tried putting the trickle charger on the battery terminals as I start it to make sure it's not just a low 12-volt battery. I now can't even drive it to the shop. Any Ideas????

I can't figure out if this is electrical, mechanical, or both. Why would something like maybe a bad bearing shut down the HV system? Why won't the engine fire? Why would some other new HV system problem crop up mysteriously when this sound occurred?

2. jk450

jk450 New Member

Double-check all of the harness plugs that you unplugged. If you find one that you had missed, plug it in, then disconnect your 12V battery for about a minute. See if you get a READY light.

If you get the vehicle running, see if the howling increases with braking.

Do this at low speed on a quiet street.

3. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm sounds like a possible bad bearing or worstcase MG2 stator winding going out. Hopefully it is only a wheel bearing or something other than the transaxle. But first you should never unplug any connectors to any ecu unless you first remove power. Everytime you unplug and plug it back in with power you not only probably create another dtc but you risk blowing the ecu or another ecu down the line by hot plugging with power. Always disconnect the 12V battery and wait at least ten mins. before plugging in or out any connectors or ecu. Sounds like you do this.
    Next is to be able to read and reset dtc from the obdII port.
    For this there are a few possibilities..read the thread "Classic 03 and ScangaugeII". Or you can go a step further, with somewhat better control and recording etc.. with AE software and the enhanced Toyota interface. You supply the notebook w/win2K or above and a working usb port. This later one is much more accurate though as far as troubleshooting dtc, but it is more moola as well. Regardless, you will need to read and clear dtc's,
    I would disconnect the 12V battery, wait ten minutes and re connect it, turn ign on and start. At this point is where I would do the "reset" of all codes and then shut down. Wait ten minutes and restart/drive if possible for a short distance and see what comes up then. If anything do not reset the system or valid dtc info will be lost.

4. BobD

BobD New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback!
    All of the plugs are in place and seated. And yes, I always disconnect the battery and wait before messing with the ECUs. The scanner I used is a neighbor's "Actron Elite AutoScanner Pro". When I try to erase the one DTC I get the car gives a single beep and the code is still there when I rescan. Maybe I'll try to erase them, wait ten minutes, then restart and scan?

There was one bad wheel bearing up front (due to a fender-bender accident that got me this salvaged vehicle for only $5500 back in 2002) but it was replaced about 3k ago. I rotated all of the other wheels to check for play or noise. Nothing. And the noise didn't increase with braking. I'll let you know what happens with trying to erase that code.

5. BobD

BobD New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I tried the amended process with erasing codes and the result remains the same. No start, same P3100 code. I neglected to mention that the dash also has a "check engine" light on. This came on when it no longer would start.

The only thing that makes me think that the MotorGenerator2 stator winding could be the culprit (despite normal performance) is that when I removed the HV ECU and inspected the HV ECU connecting pins, connector H10 (right-most one), which deals with the MG's, had a couple of pins that had circular spots on them that looked like possible arcing.

I'm thinking of next removing the engine ECU next and coating those pins with anti-oxidant. 10F sure is lousy weather for car repair! Maybe magic will happen and it will start when temps are above freezing;)

This has been a reliable car up to this point, despite the original inverter non-continuity (that made the Toyota Master Mechanic throw up his hands and send it off for insurance auction - thanks Toyota!), the steering rack I had to replace, the bad wheel bearing, the recalled engine ECU replacement, the recall for battery inspection, the $150 I had to spend to have trans-axle fluid replaced, the throttle non-response (that happened 3 times and was fixed by unplugging and replugging H14), and the fact that this damn thing can't start without HV system power. Pre-80's cars are looking better than ever!

6. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup we have minus 10 here tonight..brrrr and me garage is not heated! Good thing I got all maintenance done and running good.
    Well I think you mentioned a vibration or a rubbing sound/ howling that is matched to wheel rotation, if not a bearing it does also point to the mg2 stator winding possibly loose and rubbing on its rotor. This of course would be non-reverse-able damaging event to the transaxle, but others have reported this symptom just before transaxle failure in gen1's. I sure hope for you it isn't this.

Sounds like the scanner you're using does not fully support a gen1 prius. Most of the generic scanners can only "see" the engine ecu and some other regular obdII stuff - not the hybrid system at all. Try the scangaugeII -it does all the gen1 xgauges listed in "classic 03 and scangaugeII" thread, and they claim it can also read and/or clear dtc's although I have not tried a clear yet. Wish we were closer I would bring my AE setup and do a full diagnostic reading.

7. BobD

BobD New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies and ideas. But I have to admit that I'm an old-school kinda guy. My dad, who would be 103 this year if still alive, was a mechanic. He worked for car dealerships, diesel trucking companies, ag implements, and the local Montgomery Wards small engine department. He taught me how to fix anything pre-computer, mechanical, fluids, electrical, you name it.

And I've spent many years troubleshooting computer hardware and operating systems for friends, neighbors, and their friends. So when it comes to combining those talents, first I look for mechanical system problems, then the most obvious electrical problems like poor continuity.

I got this car from a scrapyard back in 2002 since the top Toyota Mechanics, flown in from CA to WI, couldn't figure out its no-start problem after a small but body-mangling crash. They couldn't make sense of the codes (sound familiar). Since they figured out that it ran with a replacement inverter from another car, they said it needed an inverter and steering rack. That cost, coupled with the $7500 in body work already done, condemned it to an insurance sale. Since the inverter was already out, I opened it and checked the connections between the inside and the plugs on the outside. 3 pins didn't have continuity. After 15 minutes of diagnosis and 45 minutes to put it back together I had a working car with 30,000 miles for $5500.

Needless to say, despite the noisy front end symptom, I'm reluctant to think this failure to start is related to a sudden failure of a motor-generator, especially since everything was running normally right up to that point. At this point, if increasing continuity at the connections doesn't help I'm tempted to start fixing the car with a 2lb.ball-peen hammer:eek:.

If cars these days are headed increasingly toward requiring a PhD in electrical engineering with associate degrees in software design and digital troubleshooting I think the era of backyard mechanics is truly dead. Physicists don't even fully understand what an electron looks like, whether it's a particle or standing wave, where "charge" comes from, etc. I tend to avoid just buying another "black box" that can magically tell me something that may or may not be relevant IF and ONLY IF all the connections are intact. I've always told people, "if you can't maintain it or fix it, don't buy it". I guess I've learned my own lesson!

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've wondered about the future of backyard repairs myself, but happily my own experience and what I've seen on this forum doesn't make me so pessimistic. (And remember, a lot of backyards these days have kids playing in them who build robots in 8th grade and think of jailbreaking their iPhones as a fun puzzle to solve.)

I don't think a PhD in EE is necessarily required any more than a PhD in ME was required to be a mechanic in your dad's day. (Forgive me - I don't know whether your dad had one, but certainly there are good mechanics who don't.) There are new skill sets to be picked up one way or another, but the silver lining is that some kinds of problem can be faster and easier to diagnose than they were pre-OBD. Then new kinds of real head-scratchers can come to take their place. Keeps it interesting.

The particle-wave duality doesn't seem to be anything that really stands in the way of people learning electronics. The electron has wavelike and particlelike properties, which is weird compared to the kinds of waves and particles we're used to seeing and touching, but that doesn't seem to bother electrons. If the only orange thing you knew in a garden was pumpkins, and the only skinny thing you knew was zucchini, and you had never seen a carrot but you heard botanists talking about something both orange and skinny, if you wanted to make it sound as mysterious as possible you could talk about it that way, but it wouldn't really slow down the botanists, or the carrots. :)

A guy I learned a whole lot from as a kid (who lived to just shy of his century mark and would be, if I'm not mistaken, about 109 now) had wired his own 18th-century farmhouse for electricity when electricity came to town, maintained his own farm equipment and pretty much everything else, but one time when we were stuck on something electrically puzzling in my grandmother's house, he told me "that's a mystery. They don't know why that happens."

Then later I got to college, took E&M class, and saw that it was not only known why that happened, it had been known even when he was a kid. He hadn't heard the news cos he hadn't taken the class. And I realized that sometimes I make the same mistake, underestimating how well other people might understand something when I don't.

-Chap

9. BobD

BobD New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm certainly well aware of the fact that others may know a lot more about the Prius, or DTCs, etc. than I do. That's why I started posting to the forum. But you'll note that, unlike the symptoms I could describe on a pre-80's car that would yield loads of experience-laden responses and suggestions, the best I've gotten here is an educated guess that my car is essentially dead.

I'm sure digital codes may be helpful when everything is well-connected and the engine runs, but finding out that the Gen1 and Gen2 Prius may have a stator winding or trans-axle defect makes all the codes more or less pointless. I know from experience with this car that Toyota will do everything in its legalistic power to squirm out from any expensive obligation to stand behind its product - unless of course you buy it new with an extended warranty. Telling Toyota that their "master mechanics" were unable to diagnose even a simple connector discontinuity didn't help my case. Even the techs were unable to make sense of the DTCs without the wiring intact. If you'd like the full story on how I got this car just click here for a PDF.

I'm quite happy I got 8 years out of this car, especially for what I paid, but I'd never consider another hybrid.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure I know how to tell the difference between an experience-laden suggestion and an educated guess. On this forum there are people who have experience with mg2 winding failures, which can produce symptoms like those you described, so to check for that is a solid suggestion. Doesn't prove that's the problem, but puts it on the list to check out. A bad winding can go for a while without producing any DTC, but by the time anything causes the ECU to show warning lights and not start the car, there'll have been codes logged. The codes are only pointless if you don't care about finding out whether you've got a cheap problem or an expensive one. A couple members of this forum have made huge progress working out how to get the relevant codes without spending a lot on readers.

If there really is a winding problem, the codes are likely to relate to leakage to ground in the HV system or a handful of other HV related codes. (I mean the codes from the HV ECU itself, not the P3100 from the ECM.) At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if you have some red-herring codes lying around related to the things you've been unplugging or the wheel-speed sensor discrepancies while you had the front jacked up. So clearing everything and seeing what comes back is probably a good plan.

There are ways you could proceed without codes; for instance a ground leakage code isn't telling you much you couldn't learn with a megger and some labor. It's just that checking the codes can be faster, and might point you in a completely different direction and save you all that trouble.

On the chance that mg2's stator is bad, it might be worth mentioning that Jack Rosebro has worked out a way to swap stator only with the transaxle in the car. Doesn't cut parts cost much (unless you have a line on a good stator) but takes a big bite out of labor. Carolyn Coquillette at Luscious Garage, for one, has the technique down pat. Which isn't directly helpful in Minnesota, but shows it's possible.

Here's hoping you get the information to find out whether that's what you need, or something simpler/cheaper.

-Chap

11. BobD

BobD New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I'll probably try to find out exactly what's wrong, eventually, when the weather warms up a lot. I don't think the codes are "pointless", possibly just meaningless to all but Sherlock H. Mechanic. I tried clearing the codes with the scanner I borrowed but only the one came up and that wouldn't clear anyway. If there's some other tool required and it doesn't directly fix the problem I think that all I gain is knowing which parts to sell, and which may be defunct, as I "parts it out" on Craigslist. Taking the trans-axle out is something I'd do either way, since I have the manual, but it will have to wait. Today I'm looking at 40+mpg used cars in my vicinity that will be good winter "beaters" to supplement the EV Porsche. Their cost is far less than a trans-axle repair. I'm sure there are Prius owners out there who have had glorious days with their car, as I have, but entropy and lack of cash have taken their toll.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    BobD, consider posting on the Prius technical board at yahoo. Lots of expertise there, including Bob Wilson.

13. jk450

jk450 New Member

Just turning the ignition key to OFF will suffice.

That's because the issue is still there, and can be detected immediately.

Waiting ten minutes doesn't do anything. I have no idea why you were told that.

If you think the HV ECU has a temperature-related problem, take it into the house, set it on a table, and let it warm up for an hour or so. Then take it back out, plug it in, and try to start the car. You don't need to bolt it in; the electrical plugs will do.

But to be clear: does the car (a) refuse to READY up, or (b) READY up, spin the engine, then shut off?

14. BobD

BobD New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering how waiting 10 minutes had anything to do with anything! When I turn the key I hear 4 relay clicks coming from the rear, no READY light, no engine spin. On the dash we have a check engine light, brake light, low temp light, and the hybrid system warning. Do I really need to buy a different scanner just to detect and delete some possibly different codes?

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, the codes in the HV ECU are likely the ones that will tell you why it has decided not to give you a ready light or spin the engine. I'd be interested, if it were my car. The scanner you're using doesn't know there is an HV ECU, let alone how to read codes from it.

Maybe there's somebody near you with a ScanGaugeII you could borrow? (Out of the box, it doesn't know anything about the HV ECU either, but it can be programmed using the instructions in the ScanGauge thread.)

-Chap

16. BobD

BobD New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everybody!

I've come to 3 conclusions:
    1) I probably do need trans-axle work that I cannot afford
    2) I probably caused the codes that I cannot currently read when I ran the car with the wheels jacked up (seemed like a good idea at the time if I wanted to hear the drive-train without road noise) which are causing the car not to start
    3) I can't fight 8 intercommunicating computers at once, they win!

I am currently car-less until the shop nearby that rebuilds Geo Metro's is done with the '97 5-speed they are working on. Great market for these things right now. 1200 lbs. less weight to haul around and only 1 computer. At my age, and with my level of skill and patience, sometimes simpler is better.

I'll try to borrow a Scangauge II so I can figure out what to sell and what can't be sold on the Prius. Bob Wilson on the Yahoo Prius Tech Forum offered one to rent if all else fails.

Thanks again!

17. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The reason for waiting ten mins. after disconnecting the 12v bat., is to let all the capacitors in the system discharge. There is still voltage stored in the caps inside each ecu and especially the two larger caps in the invertor, which slowly bleed down after a time, seems ten mins is what I've been hearing. If you re-connect the 12v batt before all ecu's erase, you will still have bad or possibly even corrupted data.

Yes having a scanner that can understand hybrid systems you
    would at least know what it's trying to tell you. Generic scanners can't handle these cars and even post unreliable data on what ever generic stuff they do show. A scangaugeII can at least read the codes, without this ability one is just guessing.

Hmmm so you turn the key and get three or four clicks (from the rear) and nothing else is strange indeed. The main relay is in back by the hv batt. If the 12V system is too low for instance, it will not be able to "hold" the main relay. However if there were a short anywhere (12v or hv), the system would also slap the main relay. Try to get the codes read accurately should now be a main priority, it may be simple after all.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If BobD intended to disconnect the orange high voltage cables connecting the inverter to the traction battery, then it would make some sense to wait for the inverter capacitors to discharge, and even more sense to use a voltmeter to determine what voltage existed on those cables.

Or, if he did not have a device to erase DTC, then it would make sense to disconnect the 12V battery and wait several minutes for the ECUs to power down.

Since his stated objective in post #4 was simply to erase DTC, which he could do with his OBD-II code reader, then he had no reason to disconnect the 12V battery for any particular length of time. I agree that his troubleshooting efforts were impaired by not having a sufficiently capable code reader. If BobD can rent the Ecrostech miniscanner from Bob Wilson, that device will show what DTC was logged by the hybrid vehicle, traction battery, and engine ECUs, thus providing more insight into the car's problems. Or tow the car to the local Toyota dealer and ask for a diagnosis.

19. jk450

jk450 New Member

It's possible. It's really hard to say at this point.

That wouldn't cause a no-start. ABS light, sure.

20. jk450

jk450 New Member

The service manual states that the waiting period for allowing capacitors to discharge before servicing Prius HV circuits is five minutes. However, I think you are confusing high voltage circuits and low voltage circuits.

Three large capacitors in the inverter, actually. However, high voltage does not travel to the ECUs.

For the Prius, no. There are some Toyota hybrid training PDFs here: Automotive Training and Resource Site.

A couple of minutes is all you need for the 12V battery.